Limitless Custom Guitars

GuitarAddicted

Groupie
After deciding to spend my money on a Custom Guitar from a local luthier I like to share the progress with you.

I did choose Carsten Reetz owner and founder of Limitless Custom Guitars located in Daun (Eifel Region) germany.
I had the opportunity to try some of his guitars (a Sonora and an Opus Evo) at a local musician who is also a Limitless Custom Guitars Dealer.
Carsten would make every shape or style you want but in my personal case, I decided to choose his Sonora model, which is a offset style guitar.
Here you can get some impressions: https://www.limitless-customguitars.de/limitless-sonora
You can have the Sonora, Opus etc. in every wood combination that you want and Carsten will look after you if that combination will fit what you need.

The name Limitless Custom Guitars implies everything because everything is possible and almost no two guitars are the same.

At our first appointment I could choose between different master grade Flame Maple neck blacks and different body wood.

My choice was a really light piece of black limba for the body, a lovely master grade roasted flame maple neck blank and a nicely figured rosewood fretboard.

Every time when I talk to Carsten, I can really hear his passionflower his work and I know that he will only satisfied when I’m satisfied.

We talked a lot about what sound I’m after and what I prefer etc.
So my custom Sonor will get a Vega Trem and some Häussel Pickups, a 1959 Custom plus Bridge and a 1959 neck.

Nice two piece Korina Body, extra light without chambering (which is possible if you want)

IMG_2936.jpeg

Tough decision

IMG_2940.jpeg

I went with this one:
IMG_2939.jpeg

And it was a good decision, what a beautiful neck
IMG_3168.jpeg

IMG_3169.jpeg

Last edited:
I just want to leave that Sonora video here.
The pickup and bridge/vibrato combination is just limitless 😉

I’m more into 80‘s rocking music, so my Sonora will get two Häussel Humbuckers with a coil split.

I had an appointment yesterday to check if everything is ok for me and if the neck shape fine.

What should I say, it’s just gorgeous.
And the guitar will be extremely light.
We put it on a scale and the complete guitar will be just under 6.6 lbs.
IMG_3539.jpeg

The next step are the frets, finish and final assembly.

And I had the opportunity to try three different of Carstens Opus guitar models and I’m completely amazed!
And what should I say, I instantly ordered one.

IMG_3537.jpeg

It’s awesome how different these three guitars are, some construction, just different woods and the couldn’t sound more different.
The left one is made from full Mahagoni with a maple top and that one has the widest sound range.
The middle one is made from Mahagoni with a maple Neck and is more mid forward.
The right one is made from Korina with a maple neck and it has less bass and mids.

My vote clearly went for the one in the middle, super fast attack and some kind of „push“ in the tone.
IMG_3538.jpeg

They look well made but I don’t like the aesthetics. Also ordering a custom build has the risk of not being able to hear it before you buy it.
Absolutely, aesthetic is always a personal preference.
I was able to hear a few models with various wood and pickup combinations before. At least 10 different Sonora models.
But yeah I do agree you will be on the safe side if you buy a guitar that you can try before buying.

Back