Just...., WHY?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
Is it me, or are guitars with this much attention-getting, wood growth-rings simply overdone?

I think so. "Tasteful" it is not! Just cuz you can, doesn't mean you should.

And wtf is up with those back covers? They don't belong there! Period. "Oh look, we have a few pieces of that fancy wood left over. Let's make back plates out of them and paint them in a color that matches nothing else on the back of the guitar." :barf

And when will PRS stop being so tight with the width of their neck blanks, and stop gluing on those little "wings" on the headstocks of say, any guitar over $10,000? Or at least, match the freaking grain! (this one's actually not bad)

I love looking at certain examples of these beautiful works of playable art, but then there are others that are simply gaudy. Like this one.

It's like these 'McMansions' with way too many, unneccessary roof lines.

1720489937673.png

The playable art thing is such a good description. I wish more manufacturers just focused on stuff like quality wood choice, excellent QC, advanced design, and slavish attention to tone.

I'm swooning over how this guitar looks, but I'd rather see a new PRS model with a deep cutaway for much better upper fret access.

That would be a killer guitar if it had a more standard fretboard. IMO those dyed fretboards don't look good and there is definitely a point where you can have too much flamed maple on something.

That guitar looks like something a person would order where they throw in every option possible. Carvin/Kiesels sometimes end up like this because the person ordering feels like they need to pick every possible option just because it's possible.

I love the body. Hate the fretboard (there's layers in that comment for @Orvillain 's personal pleasure). Would prefer a plainer headstock, and the cavity covers are just pointless and a bit garish; nowt wrong the black.

Biggest impediment to purchase is simply the how much?!! issue. But if anyone wants to buy me the body with a plain neck and a chilled down headstock, I'd definitely say thank you.

That's a few root canals lol. Chump change.

Looks like absolute dog or maybe troll doll shit tho, glad it will never see a stage.

It would have looked great if they had just done a normal neck, headstock, and cavity plates. This looks like what Jeff Kiesel would build if he worked for PRS.

I wouldn’t buy it, but I’ve seen guitars I hate a whole lot more.

From a practical standpoint I would never buy a guitar with a fretboard with heavy vertical wood figuring like that because it’s disorienting to look at while playing

Upper fret access is a huge thing to me, but I've read that the PRS neck heel is made that way to achieve the best tone. I don't know how much that actually matters, butt I'm sure someone with more knowledge could weigh in on that.

Personally I feel that excuse is 100% absolute BS. The heel was elongated at the same time PRS was getting into mass production. My best guess is some new fixturing in the process required more of a neck heel to hold on to.

When Paul was heavily involved in the building he was using the small neck joint he'd settled on after years of his own R&D.

Funny that a tone improvement idea only came about as a result of making his design work in mass production, i.e.; cost savings........

Back