(SOLVED) Josh Homme QOTSA Live Rig | What Pedal Is This?

dronerstone

Roadie
Hi folks! :geek:

I'm calling all pedal nerds - people who can identify obscure and/or boutique stuff.
Usually no hassle doing it myself, but this time things go a little too far, I'm afraid.

Basics:

It's Josh Homme's current live gig board. He's running a wet/dry setup these days, which makes the routing difficult to figure out.
I've been able to pin down ALL the pedals, except for this particular one.
Bottom right corner, sitting between the Whammy and Fulltone Ultimate Octave.
Very probably NOT a one-off custom thing, rather something exotic that's flying way below the radar.
I tried my best, even reverse image search with mockups pictures, to no avail...

What do we know about the pedal so far?

- judging by placement, it might be some sort of overdrive/boost (maaaybe a fuzz, but I deem that highly unlikely)
- black box
- white print (looks like three lines of text below each other, maaaybe on a metal face plate Browne-Protein-style, which I can't seem to make out)
- side jacks
- large LED bezel to the left of the footswitch
- black/silver 50's style (?) knobs
- compact-size enclosure

Various pics of said board (the best I've come across so far).

PS: If anyone feels like talking QOTSA gear, let me know via PM, I've been studying their stuff for much too long by now - if there's anything you wanna know! ;)(y)

JH_board_2024.jpg

I know he has always been very secretive regarding what makes up his sound. It probably would not be beyond him to have something that's a boutique one off or have something on there that doesn't do anything just to fuck with you, lol...

I know he has always been very secretive regarding what makes up his sound. It probably would not be beyond him to have something that's a boutique one off or have something on there that doesn't do anything just to fuck with you, lol...
Empty true bypass box, that would be awesome. 😂😂😂

Browne Carbon maybe? It's basically the Bluesbreaker side of the Protein.

That would look good indeed, hence thanks for the effort!

Unfortunately the LED bezel is on the wrong side.

I've been searching high & low the past week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is it really a treble booster if it has a control knob labeled Bass/Treble?
:rollsafe
I'm fairly certain it's similar to the Red Rooster or other treble boosters with a tone/"range" control.

Usually this means they go from the typical treble spike (with a bit of hair) to a full-range boost with sufficient bass or low-mid thump.

I'm fairly certain it's similar to the Red Rooster or other treble boosters with a tone/"range" control.

Usually this means they go from the typical treble spike (with a bit of hair) to a full-range boost with sufficient bass or low-mid thump.
Understood. It was really just a mediocre attempt at being clever.

Back