Itchy Finger Results Are In! New Strat Day!

LOL, thanks buddy. When the fingers are itchy, you gotta pull the trigger and/ play! :beer

Sweet Strat, OP! Before ripping out the frets, consider having them ground down a couple mm. I did this to a guitar that had some extra jumbo frets. My ham fist would crush notes out of tune, but it plays like a dream now. Also cheaper than a full fret replacement!

The natural wear on the edges of the fretboard look like some kind of relic-binding. CrazySexyCool

Skip to the bottom post for new pics!

The grain on this body is EXACTLY what I’m looking for. MJT body, All Parts neck….it’s a 9.5 radius and tall vintage frets, which is the only thing slowing me from buying it right this second. It’s only $900, AVRI bridge, Pribora pickups (wtf are those?) and a hard shell case. Man…..I’m actually tingly right now.

View attachment 68
Is the body pine? Looks a lot like it. I've wanted a pine-bodied Fender for a long time. Looks killer!

Is the body pine? Looks a lot like it. I've wanted a pine-bodied Fender for a long time. Looks killer!

That was my initial thought as well, but it’s ash! The grain is entirely what sold me on it and was the first question I asked the seller. It’s also one of the lightest Strats I’ve ever played, I’d think the neck alone would weigh 50lbs because of how big it is. :rofl

I had a huge HVAC install last night at work that ended with a massive issue with the controls, keeping me there until 4AM and back at 6AM! Once I got everyone doing what they needed to be doing I shot home and 10 minutes later UPS knocked at the door.....I'm so damn tired, but I don't care. Now I'm in Strat mode!

View attachment 313
View attachment 314
View attachment 315
View attachment 316
View attachment 317
View attachment 318

This neck is a BIG BOY!

I've had the chance to play quite a few 50's Strats over the years, well, 20 or so and man, it's really crazy how close to one this feels. I'm going to live with the neck for a while before deciding on sanding it down or not but this even feels a bit bigger than an EJ sig Strat neck. One thing that's going to drive me nuts is the non-period correct logo on the headstock; this is the type they used from '62-'64.

This will definitely be getting a re-fret down the road, they're tall vintage frets and that's a nope from me dawg, SS med-jumbos are going on. Maybe when I start that project I'll sand the headstock and put the correct logo (and in the correct place) on.

Sound wise I was NOT impressed at first until I realized the selector switch is installed upside down. It's got some Pribora pickups which I've read are handwound in Russia, they sound nice, but this is most likely getting an HS-2 in the bridge and some Fender Custom Shop 69's in the neck/middle.

The original owner didn't play this thing past the 8th fret and the remaining nitro on the neck shows that. The upper frets are covered with it, so first step is an hour or two with fret erasers, then I'm going to buff the hell out of the nitro on the neck and get it into a nice glass-like sheen.

I have such vintage Strat wood right now.....that grain, man. Overall, exactly what I was hoping for, aside from the logo thing. The original owner has 8's on it with action LOW, I managed to play TERRIBLY on it for a few minutes. :rofl
nice.

Yeah, let's hear it!

I know that feeling!

I had me a few cocktails Saturday night…..and Sunday morning, I was a bit out of commission for a solid day. If I don’t pass out as soon as I get home tonight I’ll toss some up. I could play this thing with just clean tones and be totally happy.

This is why I love having a micropenis :love
giphy.gif

Back