Ibanez Tube Screamers ~ Differences

Abe

Groupie
Who uses the Ibanez Tube Screamers?

For Ibanez Tube Screamers I’ve used a TS9DX pedal, a TS9/808/Silver Mod pedal (AnalogMan), a TS808, and now an Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini. I’ve owned most of those ongoingly. I no longer have the TS9DX but it was my least favorite with it’s extra modes full of low end. A lot of subjective judgement out there about what these pedals offer for differences. I don’t feel they were ever designed to be much different from each other and the actual differences are found in them seeming a maximum of 5% unique from each other. The Ibanez TS808 Original Tube Screamer Overdrive Pedal / TS808 Reissue seems to perhaps stay lower in frequency in it’s knob turning range while the TS9 may have a slight bit more ‘bright bite’ to it that can be dialed in. There is a video below that I find interesting. There are also some shootout videos of people demonstrating comparisons. I've done the compare and contrast a good bit myself as well. Like the amount that would not be in our heads and really be a difference beyond that 5% unique from each other scenario can even just be how separate pedals of the same model will be generally twins yet have a bit of their own personality and character.

I was copying Trey from Phish when I first acquired an AnalogMan TS9/808/Silver Mod pedal 20 years ago, which at the time I paired with the TS9DX and ran them into my AnalogMan Bi-CompROSSor. Not often using them both turned on but it’s a handy way to have one on a less setting and one on a more setting for foot switching. Now with the TS9DX gone I pair my TS9/808/Silver with my Tube Screamer Mini which looks by appearance to be a mini version of the TS808 but is more modeled after the TS9 on the inside while being smaller and not fitting a square battery. Conflicting info out there as far as any and all differences between the TS9 and the TS808 and also which the Mini is the equivalent of.

I feel the more expensive TS808 reissue pedals being sold nowadays are 95% aggressive marketing for all the buyers who have vintageness in mind. To have every type of Ibanez Tube Screamer and taste test them via what you hear blindfolded without being told which is which would always show much inability to be accurate outside the ‘power of suggestion’ preconceived notions of which is the more old school one, or smoother, or warmer, etc. I believe this completely. I’m not saying you can’t find a notable difference, but believe all the difference amounts to like 5% of what the knobs can dial in for tone and drive. Marketing mostly, making the TS808 Reissue extra collectable but not providing any giant difference, even from what the Mini costing less than half as much as the TS808 provides in the smaller package.

So who here is familiar with them? They are my go to for drive boost. I've used them more than Boss DS-1 or anything else for overdrive or distortion. I believe a Tube Screamer is definitely a Tube Screamer. 95% interchangeable with 5% uniqueness with which they can be dialed away from each other’s identities as overdrive pedals.

Of course if I were more so wanting to be SRV or John Mayer I would play what I think they most used/use. If I were trying to completely copy Trey Anastasio from 20 years ago I’d pair 2 of the AnalogMan TS9/808/Silver Mod pedals before my Compressor in the chain. If wanting to do as Trey does current I’d have a couple TS808s on the board.

Currently liking my AnalogMan Bi-CompROSSor sandwiched between my TS9/808/Silver and my Tube Screamer Mini. Usually staying at settings that are creamy sounding and not too aggressive in sound. In addition to that I have the emulated TS808 on the Guitar Rig 7 as well as emulators of other pedals such as the Boss DS-1 which I only use if I want something actually fuzzy.

Ok, I just wanted to scream through a tube is all. I have a Digitech FreqOut on the way to me that I think will go after screamer compressor screamer and before Morley Wah Boomerang Looper and Guitar Rig 7.

Just enjoying being jazzed up about making guitar music again like I used to be. Making some noise means a lot to me in life.

I’ve got a red one 👍
1728303003591.jpeg

1728302945310.jpeg

A TS is one of those pedals every guitarist should own imo. Widely available and do a few things very well.
I have a stock TS-9 used on and off for years. The only thing I'm not fond of is the tone control on a TS. It gets harsh and pointed past 9 or 10 o'clock for me. Often I'll keep the tone on zero, which surprisingly still lets a bit of presence come through on the top end. I have a Way Huge Green Rhino MKIV that is a much more flexible TS though, which now-a-days I'd use more. Overall though, I've slowly veered away from the TS sound and use other low gain drives like a Boss OD-3 or the Vox Mystic Drive. These are sweeter to my ears and hands for what I do.

When I first started out buying pedals, my first 5 ODs were all TS variants, and I couldn't figure out why they all sounded the same. :LOL:

Ever since, I've been through multiple builders, mods, and versions, they are a staple OD / boost. I think I prefer the 808 sound over the 9, but the 1/8" power jack on the originals is annoying, lol. One thing I will say is that Mayer might be on to something with the TS10, even though he's destroyed the market for them. I have a clone from Dazatronyx on one of my boards, its a lot less nasal than the 9/808.

Back