I built myself a couple of guitar racks -Updated: 2nd tier added

Sweet! I also see someone likes a little Iceman in their life.

ChubbyGraciousBaboon-max-1mb.gif

200.gif

Those Iceman guitars look awesome. I hate how Ibanez made so few models and most of them were boring as hell visually.

Also the guitar racks look great. I might have to build something similar if I manage to buy a house in a few years.

I'm in the process of resituating my music room for everything to be hooked up and easily accessible. Step 1 was getting some multi guitar racks. There wasn't anything on the market that I liked or would work so I went ahead and made some myself.

Everything is made from maple hardwood that started as raw slabs. It's all held together by threaded inserts for wood and flat head bolts. I wanted to be able to take it apart if I ever needed. Each one is 48" tall, 50" wide 17" deep and can hold 12 guitars. I designed it so that the guitars would sit mostly upright. That was mainly to save space vs. designs that lean back more. It also has the benefit of not putting much pressure on the neck while resting. I also designed it so I can add a second level to each one. Being hard maple I was expecting it to be heavier than it is. It's rock solid sturdy for sure though.

The pieces that cradle the neck are those tool hooks from home depot. I've been using them to hang my guitars form the wall so I know they won't react with the finish. I've also used the indoor/outdoor carpet covering the bottom rails before and haven't had an issue with it reacting with finishes either.

Most of the work was plaining the wood down to thickness and ripping it to width so I didn't take many in progress pictures.

View attachment 7704 View attachment 7705 View attachment 7706
How about a better pic of that 12 string on the middle right? Details, Please!!!

How about a better pic of that 12 string on the middle right? Details, Please!!!

Got 2 of 'em....

1686064915954.png

This one I used an old Epiphone acoustic bolt on neck. It's Mahogany/Rosewood if I remember correctly. I like that it had a zero fret. I built the body myself around 2006. It's Walnut, Osage Orange, Ash and spalted maple. Gotoh 12 string bridge & OBL pickups. I think those pickups were designed by, but not made by Bill. I went a little oddball on the horn. In hindsight I probably should have went more traditional, but I still like it.

1686065383619.png

This one is a full scratch build. The body is Mahogany with a Poplar center stripe. The neck is Maple/Rosewood. Gotoh 12 string bridge and GFS Dream 180 pickups. They're basically a slightly higher output humbucking P90. I was going for an offset strat style body shape on this one.

It's actually pretty fun to knock out some old thrash style riffs on an electric 12 string. You can't do super high gain because notes will get garbled up. But un-boosted JCM gain levels is just about right and you get some really cool sounds & dynamics. I love playing Rob/White Zombie riffs where's he's using more techno samples. The 12 string really fills out the holes when you're playing as standard instruments and nothing extra. Also works really well playing Celtic metal. It can add that little extra you need if you don't have someone playing violin, or lute, or whatever the hell else instruments they use.

Got 2 of 'em....

View attachment 7905
This one I used an old Epiphone acoustic bolt on neck. It's Mahogany/Rosewood if I remember correctly. I like that it had a zero fret. I built the body myself around 2006. It's Walnut, Osage Orange, Ash and spalted maple. Gotoh 12 string bridge & OBL pickups. I think those pickups were designed by, but not made by Bill. I went a little oddball on the horn. In hindsight I probably should have went more traditional, but I still like it.

View attachment 7906
This one is a full scratch build. The body is Mahogany with a Poplar center stripe. The neck is Maple/Rosewood. Gotoh 12 string bridge and GFS Dream 180 pickups. They're basically a slightly higher output humbucking P90. I was going for an offset strat style body shape on this one.

It's actually pretty fun to knock out some old thrash style riffs on an electric 12 string. You can't do super high gain because notes will get garbled up. But un-boosted JCM gain levels is just about right and you get some really cool sounds & dynamics. I love playing Rob/White Zombie riffs where's he's using more techno samples. The 12 string really fills out the holes when you're playing as standard instruments and nothing extra. Also works really well playing Celtic metal. It can add that little extra you need if you don't have someone playing violin, or lute, or whatever the hell else instruments they use.
Those are sweet!! No double neck yet, lol... You have some talent and a lot of hard work in all those custom, scratch builds.

Rather than start a new thread I'll continue on this one.
It was time to do the 2nd tier to the racks I already built. I finished them up this past Saturday. One of them was made specifically to hold explorer and similar shaped guitars. The rails are offset to accommodate the curved shape. I used strap buttons and paracord wit loops on each end to hold the tail and keep them from sliding. It works really well and is easy to get the guitar on & off the rack.

Started with gluing the main pieces for the sides. There's not thing too fancy about the shape. I had cut and sanded the first one then used it as a router template for the rest.

1693862740519.png

After getting everything cut to size & shape, and rounding over edges everything was dry fit before doing final sanding and adding a finish. Not shown here, I also used the same gray indoor/outdoor carpet for padding and tool hooks for cradling the necks.

1693862955177.png

Here are a couple of closeup of the way the paracord holds the explorer guitars.

1693863192054.png

1693863220926.png

And last but not least, here is everything all set up. Everything fits on the racks well and I have a little space for a few more guitars.
I will need to take that shelf on the other wall down (I had planned to anyway) as it's blocking that blue guitar on the end. Right now it's not a big deal since that one needs to be redone and isn't playable anyway.
1693863538093.png

That's epic! :love

And thank you for convincing me that I have no problem with gear or guitars
compared to some around here. :LOL:
That's what happens when you build or refurbish a guitar or two every year for near 20 years and not sell anything. LOL!

Nice job. And nice collection!

After you glued up the blanks, how did you sand the faces?
I used dominos to keep everything lined up so most of the joints were glued up pretty flush to start. An orbital sander and a bit of 60-80 grit paper was enough to smooth it out. The couple of places it wasn't quite as flush I used a hand plane then sanded. From there it was taking it through the grits of sandpaper up to 220.

Back