Hurricane Helene aftermath

FuzzyAce

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I know we have fun and joke a lot here, this is a great place to unwind and talk music, gear, pickles ... but just thinking about anyone here that's been effected directly or have family impacted by the hurricane. The devastation is truly awful, and NC got especially hit hard. I have family and friends in FL, GA, SC, NC and TN - fortunately they were mostly spared with only minimal damage sustained. Obviously, many others were not. My area of GA just saw heavy rains but nothing too extensive with flooding.

So this thread can be a place where info is linked, stories that need to be heard, etc for anyone who wants to post. If not, that's cool too. Just throwing this out there.

Helene had prompted me to read up on hurricanes (was wondering what the deadliest ever was) and I read a whole lot about the Galveston Hurricane from Sep 8, 1900! Boy what a scene that was, not just from the hurricane but what led to elements of the devastation (like blocking information about it's approach) and the disposal of the 8,000-12,000 bodies!! Not trying to diminish the probs of this one, but if you have not read about the Galveston one from 1900, read up on it, quite the sh!t show in a number of ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

If you have Wikiphobia, do a search with your preferred method to find more info!

As much damage as we had here in the Tampa Bay area, those folks got absolutely pummeled. We have family and friends in the Asheville area and we were just there a few weeks ago. It is one of our favorite place on earth and we are shocked at the damage. The Art & River district, including the wonderful Asheville Guitar Bar are a total loss. And then we have neighbors right here who lost everything as well. Just a devastating storm and the aftermath will take a while to,
recover from.

Great vid. Good to see the effort to get folks out and supplies they need. NC is a beautiful state but as many know a lot of those smaller towns have only few roads access to them and unfortunately those roads are washed out. Helicopters are the best way, but it's precarious work in those locations even under normal conditions, much less the current ones. Much respect to all those pilots and volunteers.

Back