Helix: Dealing with the awful clunks and jumps between snapshots

pipelineaudio

Shredder
I've seen a lot of videos showing the jumps and spikes during the snapshot switching period (which somewhat negates the advantage of snapshot switching time vs switching presets). I have seen it said that it has to do with the order that things switch in and out and change on the snapshots.

Has anyone figured a good strategy for making the snapshot switching overlap time smoother?

I am thinking of creating some separate presets with Preset Spillover on and seeing if I can get the parameters figured correctly there and then somehow maybe translate it back into the snapshots

I have seen it said that it has to do with the order that things switch in and out and change on the snapshots.
Yes that's the point. If for example you have the snapshot A with the amp level 5 and drive 10 and the other snapshot B with amp level 10 and drive 5, and let's say for example that they have the same perceived volume. But when you change snapshot from A to B the sequence of changes is first the amp level and then the other blocks/parameters: for a few milliseconds you will have amp level 10 and drive 10, and you will hear a big volume spike.
So the strategy is to try to change the volume levels using other blocks or other parameters.
Unfortunately I don't know what is the sequence of priorities during the snapshot change. If I'm not mistaken, once Mr Igor Stolarsky (system engineer at Line6) wrote something about this in a comment in Facebook, but I don't remember the information and I can't find it anymore.

It has to do with gain and amp levels. I had the same problem. Bring the snaps a little closer with those two fields and it will disappear.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, once Mr Igor Stolarsky (system engineer at Line6) wrote something about this in a comment in Facebook, but I don't remember the information and I can't find it anymore.

UpsideDownGuitarGuy:

I'm trying to build a preset around the Rockerverb because I freakin love this amp. I am just trying to go from clean to distorted, but the drive parameter change seems to always cause a loud pop, even though the volumes are matched. Does anyone have a solution?

thebishopgame: [Igor]

Are you also bypassing any blocks with the snapshot and using a param change to adjust the volume? Snapshots process bypasses first, then controllers (i.e. param changes). So if you bypass/enable something that changes your level, then adjust the volume param on something to compensate, you'll hear a little blip of the sound before the param change happens, which frequently sounds like a pop.

Gain stage all your blocks so that they're more or less at the same volume when they're enabled or disabled (an exception might be a drive pedal boosting level INTO an amp) and it should go away.

I gave preset spillover a try, and it was pretty neat, but damn, it switches so slow that I'd rather have the clunk...So now I'm trying to make sure the levels of the bypassed/unbypassed stuff is similar, so hopefully I can get rid of the worst of it.

So now I'm trying to make sure the levels of the bypassed/unbypassed stuff is similar
I doubt that's the only cause. I had a preset where nothing changed but the IR. From one OH to another. Nothing else. Gain the same, volume the same.
Still got a loud POP.

I think this click/pop is audible when there is a sudden cut in the waveform and big gain difference involved, like switching between two amp models in series on the same DSP path.

I must be lucky because I’ve never had that problem.
I doubt that's the only cause. I had a preset where nothing changed but the IR. From one OH to another. Nothing else. Gain the same, volume the same.
Still got a loud POP.
IMO changing IRs should have been left out of snapshots, because that one will obviously have a gap or pop. You’re basically changing gear like if you were switching from one OD to another or something. I can’t imagine a scenario live where this would be necessary anyways, but everyone uses the gear differently. There’s a gap when you cycle through IRs anyways, so I would expect the behavior to be the same when you control that parameter with a snapshot.

Still got a loud POP.
Let's play some "WILL IT POP?":
can you do a test and assign the same IR swap to a Footswitch as controller instead of a Snapshot?

Back