GX-100, 2nd time around. Some quick observations

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
My first experience with a GX-100 left a lot to be desired. Bought one the first week they were available. It froze up on me constantly and randomly would not hold assigns. Got the new one in yesterday and sat down and set up 3 patches in probably an hour or so for the Sabbath Tribute I am in and I have some observations to share. There's been firmware update since..

1. The poly pitch function is outstanding! I can't believe there isn't a lot more folks touting just how good it is, or how to do this "trick" to get as good or better poly pitch there is in anything (yes including Drop and Helix). Thing is you have to use the whammy (PB) and set the up and down values the same and do not assign the exp pedal to anything . I used -1 and -3 all night last night at rehearsal and leave the effect at 100% and the pedal position at 100%. Voila
2. Almost forgot how good the X-Amps can be.
3. Either I cant remember or there's no way to have your patch name BIG and be able to see your stomp names for manual mode. Disappointing if the latter. Will investigate further after the gig today.
4. Building patches is a pretty fast process. I just built 4 more for a GB gig I have later today in 20 minutes flat.
5. The exp pedal is a little on the too forgiving side (for me) even after I tightened it.

Well off to load up for the gig today. Going to be going straight to the return of my SpiderValve MKII 2x12. Used it direct last night and enjoyed it but it's gig time and I want an amp on stage with me. Pretty happy with it right now.

Is operating this as cumbersome as it looks? Every video I've seen the touchscreen just looks janky and unresponsive.

Is operating this as cumbersome as it looks? Every video I've seen the touchscreen just looks janky and unresponsive.

I havent had any issues at all with the touchsceen. I wouldn't call the UI pleasant but I wouldn't call it difficult either. One thing that ticked me off today was that I saved Ctrl 3 and 4 (my FS7) to memory +/- and I know I saved it. When I got to the gig those assigns were gone.

It's a pretty nifty piece of gear. Touch screen isn't as slick as the QC but the effects library leaves it in the shade. Not a fan of built in exp. pedals, and there's certain signature BOSS effects it doesn't do (Dimension chorus anyone?) but it's a lot of modeller for the price point.

I A/B’d this unit in person and preferred the high end and harmonics on the GT-Core. But it was a solid, well-built unit with some obvious additional functionality like the pedal and touch screen. I’d like to see a GX-1000 and core.

Reactions: JT
I A/B’d this unit in person and preferred the high end and harmonics on the GT-Core. But it was a solid, well-built unit with some obvious additional functionality like the pedal and touch screen. I’d like to see a GX-1000 and core.
This exactly. The GT-1000 series does have more definition and detail than the GX-100.

Back