Give me your best advice for learning to play leads

I have this bad habit of not clicking on threads for whatever reason, and when I finally do.. :oops:

I second, or third what a lot have said... and I am not a virtuoso by any stretch.

Playing along/adlibbing with the guitar/bass riffs can help bring a familiar vibe to the solo, like I did here:

Playing the vocal melody to begin the solo really drives that earworm home, like I did on this track by copying the verse part on guitar with some swagger

Additionally.. You could get really stoned and say you're just recording for fun... and then play some bush league Pink Floyd ripoffs and call it good... like this!

Also, you could just call up my buddy Gabe, like I did here, and have him lay down a tasty solo. He's cool like that.

YMMV

I have this bad habit of not clicking on threads for whatever reason, and when I finally do.. :oops:

I second, or third what a lot have said... and I am not a virtuoso by any stretch.

Playing along/adlibbing with the guitar/bass riffs can help bring a familiar vibe to the solo, like I did here:

Playing the vocal melody to begin the solo really drives that earworm home, like I did on this track by copying the verse part on guitar with some swagger

Additionally.. You could get really stoned and say you're just recording for fun... and then play some bush league Pink Floyd ripoffs and call it good... like this!

Also, you could just call up my buddy Gabe, like I did here, and have him lay down a tasty solo. He's cool like that.

YMMV

That’s some mighty fine phrasing! Nice!

YMMV

That’s some mighty fine phrasing! Nice!

I agree!! Very Tasteful, IMO!! :chef

I speak for myself… way i do it is i noodle till i find something to grab on to then i build on that…

Keep playing and in no time you will be faster than paper shredder machine :sofa

Just keep playing bro.

Couple more thoughts, or one more thought. :LOL:

Just like speaking any language requires us to know a variety of words and phrases, in
order to be fluent in any language, I also feel that lead playing requires much the same.

Learning some licks and phrases that we like, and building a larger "vocabulary," so to speak,
is kind of non-negotiable. It can be as simple as a two note trill, or unison bends, or double
stops. I don't think anyone can just pull "phrases" out of their ass without knowing some
choice licks stolen/borrowed/embellished from others. And the bigger our vocabulary the
more we have to draw from in the moment. :beer

Oh, and we can all learn new words/phrases. Never-ending!

Back