Geddy's book 'My effin life' Best rocker bio ever!

cragginshred

Roadie
I have read 10 or 12 of all the top rocker bio books and this is so well written with detailed account of his parents surviving multiple concentration camps as teens to be reunited and married in a liberated camp in 1945.

I am only about 10% in and am blown away!! most rocker bios have meh writing and goes like this 'Then we got a deal, then we toured (never telling you how they went from playing a Sears guitar to being the accomplished guitarist/singer we know and love), then we got hooked on drugs then I got divorced and lost all my money :bonk Then I came out with a greatest hits and made all the dough lost in divorce back

Last edited:
Just finished it....and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's pretty lengthy for a rock bio, but I wish it had been a lot longer, with lots more stories and even more details. Was surprised at the candor; Geddy shares a lot without sharing too much -- and that's not easy to do!

Just finished it....and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's pretty lengthy for a rock bio, but I wish it had been a lot longer, with lots more stories and even more details. Was surprised at the candor; Geddy shares a lot without sharing too much -- and that's not easy to do!
The concentration camp section was way intense. There was a Celestial plan in place to allow Geddy to be born and bless us!
The 'Panther piss' section was hillarious, mainly because my buddy Alan and i did the same exact thing. We would take a little from each of his parent marked booze bottle's and put it in a baggie and then break the end off and hold our noses and drink horrid swill :guiness:bonk

The story about Alex getting drunk in the hotel had me laughing so hard; I'd set the book aside so I could breathe again, only to lose it again on the next sentence. Went on for like five minutes!

Speaking of Alex, it was great reading Geddy's perspective on the Hall of Fame induction; who can ever forget Alex's speech which was funny, poignant, bizarre, and in the end, just perfect for the moment.

I was a Rush fan in the 80s; they were the soundtrack of my high school years and beyond.....but I was apparently naive to just how hard the boys partied.

Oh, and it was astonishing to read (again) just how Neil came into the band....

He is very candid about his drug use and how empty it was and how cigarettes effected his voice then quitting. He seems like a very smart guy.

Back