"FRFR" Say What?

texhex

Roadie
Good times this morning. Had an idea I wanted to try out.

Speakon to speaker posts from the Matrix GT1600FX to some old speakers... hmmm could it work?

6i4V2wb.jpg

Break out the old Yamaha speakers and position them accordingly:

Zv35L61.jpg

Dude... why didn't i try this before? It's CRYSTAL CLEAR and as loud as I could possibly stand and in glorious stereo! If you ever had any doubts about running your modeler(s) through home stereo speakers, it sounds amazing (better than my JBL monitors, yeah really) just make sure you High and Low cut your Impulse Response.

:headbang

Last edited:
I tried this when I was about to pack a set of Magnat Quantum 503 hifi speakers and a stereo hifi amp in anticipation of moving last spring.

I connected them to the Axe-Fx 3 and put them somewhere about the height where a real cab would be. They sounded dark but also kinda cool in their own way, like I would not mind playing them. The amp also struggled to get a whole lot of volume from these low sensitivity speakers. When I raised them to ear height like studio monitors they worked much better. But still a pretty far cry compared to the stellar sounds of my Genelecs.

But... Is it truly flat?

I guarantee you that these speakers are as far away from flat as you can get but it sounds so good. I think flat is way overrated anyway. This little program is my best friend for computer audio. ;)

technically the difference between stereo speakers and studio monitors is that one is designed for you to be sitting on your couch about 10-15 feet away while the other is designed for you to be sitting at a desk about 2-3 feet away.

Im a firm believer in whatever works for you so it sounds good and is fun... do that more.

Looks like a great setup. Def a good spot to create music.

technically the difference between stereo speakers and studio monitors is that one is designed for you to be sitting on your couch about 10-15 feet away while the other is designed for you to be sitting at a desk about 2-3 feet away.
Another difference is that almost all hi-fi speakers, including the very expensive audiophile madness, are not as dry and neutral as good quality studio reference monitors, because their objective is to have a pleasant listening experience, not to be sterile and analytical, so they may add some color. HiFi reviews consider the word "analytical" as a negative quality, and you will often see expressions like "they excel in clarity, but without being too analytical" while for studio monitors that is a positive quality.

As @sleewell has well said, the important thing is that the experience is enjoyable, but they may not replace studio monitors for tasks like tweaking tones or for DAW engineering

Last edited:
Another difference is that almost all hi-fi speakers, including the very expensive audiophile madness, are not as dry and neutral as good quality studio reference monitors, because their objective is to have a pleasant listening experience, not to be sterile and analytical, so they may add some color. HiFi reviews consider the word "analytical" as a negative quality, and you will often see expressions like "they excel in clarity, but without being too analytical" while for studio monitors that is a positive quality.

As @sleewell has well said, the important thing is that the experience is enjoyable, but they may not replace studio monitors for tasks like tweaking tones or for DAW engineeringu

I agree with this. I think the great hope of a lot of us have with modelers is that we can make a patch that will sound perfect through headphones, studio monitors, a PA and a monitor/"FRFR", but in reality there’s just too much variation in the speakers. So it comes back to the same conclusion to just find the product that is the most enjoyable, and adjust the tones for the different applications.

I have a similar set up: stereo power amp, driving a pair of these, one on each side of my desk:

SacSaqa.jpg

(Freddie LP for reference.)

Certainly not flat, but it sounds glorious. If I really want to know what's going on, I have a pair of Yamaha nearfields on the other side of the room. And if I really want to play an "amp in the room", I have a mono power amp and 4x12.

Back