First recording in a while

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I've thrown myself into a cover band role in 2018, haven't created much music since then but I've been playing a lot more drums lately -- and I usually start with a drum pattern or groove when I write a diddy in my head.

I tried a little exercise -- I tried to write a part on drums, a part on bass, and a part on guitar.
This little diddy is a ABAC structure. Part A was written/recorded on drums first. Part B was written/recorded on bass first. Part C was written/recorded on guitar first.

Sloppy, minimal takes, no effects if you're not counting Amp sims, real drums recorded dry and unprocessed. Minimal copypasta (the second A part is a copy and a copied/pasted a kick drum a few times). A little volume automation for some of the guitar/bass parts. Three microphones on the drums -- Kick, snare and a mono overhead. Guitars are two Helix Native tracks panned (not hard) L/R, bass is Dry/Dirty using an HX Stomp.

It isn't pretty but it's a reboot in my musical creativity so I'm at least proud of that ;)

I've thrown myself into a cover band role in 2018, haven't created much music since then but I've been playing a lot more drums lately -- and I usually start with a drum pattern or groove when I write a diddy in my head.

I tried a little exercise -- I tried to write a part on drums, a part on bass, and a part on guitar.
This little diddy is a ABAC structure. Part A was written/recorded on drums first. Part B was written/recorded on bass first. Part C was written/recorded on guitar first.

Sloppy, minimal takes, no effects if you're not counting Amp sims, real drums recorded dry and unprocessed. Minimal copypasta (the second A part is a copy and a copied/pasted a kick drum a few times). A little volume automation for some of the guitar/bass parts. Three microphones on the drums -- Kick, snare and a mono overhead. Guitars are two Helix Native tracks panned (not hard) L/R, bass is Dry/Dirty using an HX Stomp.

It isn't pretty but it's a reboot in my musical creativity so I'm at least proud of that ;)

Thats pretty awesome despite what you say, your creating music and thats awesome, me im just a fax machine
Kudos Alex (y)

I dig it. And it sounds fun. :headbang

Getting a little Suicidal Tendencies vibe from it.

Back