Engl model on Helix?

pipelineaudio

Shredder
I was looking for info on Sabaton's sound and there was one video with an Engl. I gave the Helix one a try. I really liked it. Am i broken? The mid boost switch really makes it simple to add any missing beef I may run into in certain stages or mixes. Anyone actively using this Helix model?

I LOVE how that mid boost switch (and the channel volume also linked in snapshot automation mode) lets you instantly switch betweem HELL YEAH SCOOPED MIDS bedroom practice/intro guitar mode and "I can still hear my guitar with the drums and bass playing"

I LOVE how that mid boost switch (and the channel volume also linked in snapshot automation mode) lets you instantly switch betweem HELL YEAH SCOOPED MIDS bedroom practice/intro guitar mode and "I can still hear my guitar with the drums and bass playing"

Fuckin' A. That mid boost was designed by someone who understand amps sitting in a mix.

If i recall correctly, Richie Faulkner recorded most guitars for Judas Priest's Firepower through ENGL Powerballs, which is basically the same core amp tones.

Last edited:
I was looking for info on Sabaton's sound and there was one video with an Engl. I gave the Helix one a try. I really liked it. Am i broken? The mid boost switch really makes it simple to add any missing beef I may run into in certain stages or mixes. Anyone actively using this Helix model?
Thanks for the reminder. Gotta dial this bad boy in tonight

AHHH !!! Holy shit!!! Yes, this was IMMEDIATLEY the firepower tone. Just the stock settings for the amp default was so close to that right away, interesting.

I have no idea what a Sabaton tone even is, but this amp is awesome for me. neck pickup makes that super smooth clapton tone thing too

That was my favorite amp model the whole time I was running a Helix Floor. And I've since found that I gravitate toward ENGL everything on other platforms as well.

There's something to those German amp designs. I love the Helix Ubersonic (Bogner Überschall), a model which also rarely gets mentioned.

Last edited:
Dialed in a patch with 3 snapshots on the HX Stomp.. a chunky chug rhythm tone, a mid posted solo tone screaming mids and loads of delay, and a clean rhythm tone.. all from the same amp.. used an SD1 model as cleaning boost, and the amp responded beautifully!

I'm still blown away by how much this "mid boost" switch is an Easy Mode cheat for mixing! Eating too much real estate vs the bass and vocals? Turn it off

Guitar getting lost? Turn it on...done

Back