Dug up an old recording from 2009 [Metalcore]

MirrorProfiles

Rock Star
Usually stuff from the past like this should be left there and forgotten about, but fuck it. Dug up an old session from 2009. Reamped the guitars with a NAM model of my 5150 and gave it a little 3 hour tidy up. So funny seeing plugins that are long since retired like gearbox and the URS stuff.

So much about the songwriting just seems a bit crap to me now (despite digging the riffs still), but it also has some chaotic youthful naivety that I don't think I'd be able to conjure up on a song now.

That's THE metalcore tone right there. Love the drop into halftime followed by the double kick blast in the main riff!

That's THE metalcore tone right there. Love the drop into halftime followed by the double kick blast in the main riff!
Thanks man. I know for a fact on the original recording of this I would have put a tubescreamer, and in 2024 I'm all about guitar->straight to amp.

Tubescreamer=training wheels.

Dude that sounds fantastic. 🤜

What’s your chain for the guitars?
These were recorded in 2009, but I'm sure it was his PRS C22 (or 24) with HFS in the bridge. Can't remember what DI box I was even using back then.

I just ran the old DI into a NAM model of my 5150, one of my Mesa OS 1999 cab IR's with a 57. The tiniest bit of EQ on there but basically just dialled it in by adjusting the IR. Most boring/basic chain ever ha.

Funnily enough I also ran the bass through the 5150 and blended it in as its some weird mega scooped Schecter 5 string bass that sounds a bit odd.

Thanks man. I know for a fact on the original recording of this I would have put a tubescreamer, and in 2024 I'm all about guitar->straight to amp.

Tubescreamer=training wheels.

Funny you say this. The last track I did I didn’t use an OD and it felt weird. Like, I liked the tone better without it, but even then it was tough to leave it off. :ROFLMAO: It’s funny how much of our tone we let be the OD and not the amp. I want to experiment more without them.

Funny you say this. The last track I did I didn’t use an OD and it felt weird. Like, I liked the tone better without it, but even then it was tough to leave it off. :ROFLMAO: It’s funny how much of our tone we let be the OD and not the amp. I want to experiment more without them.
there's definitely a time and place for them, but if I can make the tone work without it then its usually got more character.

Those guitar tones..

giphy.gif

Back