DMM: XO vs Nano

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Anyone use the Nano vs the big box XO version?

Seems the Nano is a little brighter generally, but it’s also 9V and significantly smaller. I’m probably leaning towards the big box version just to squeeze the last 2% of toanz out of it, but curious if anyone has used the Nano and what you thought about it.

I’ve not heard a DMM or any pedal trying to do the DMM thing that 100% sounded as good as the best vintage big box examples, YMMV. If you really want to get the maximum experience, that’s where it is at.

If you’ll settle for less than the maximum DMM experience, there are loads of options. The Halo doesn’t sound like a straight DMM to me, more like a hybrid of tape, DMM, and digital delay attributes. I really like it, but that isn’t what I would get if I wanted a straight DMM.

D

I am partial to the big box DMMs. I have a couple. Have had the 550TT and the 1100TT, too.
Never tried the Nano. :idk

I do feel like the 550TT and the version pictured below are the best bang for the buck in DMM
land. The Nano is not that much cheaper comparatively speaking. I tend to swing for the fences
when it comes to iconic pedals. Don't settle. :beer

Be forewarned these are not run it in the FX Loop Delays. Best utilized out in front of the amp
after any dirt/od you are also running.
oxddqak9rchspmmvwqsa.jpg

I am partial to the big box DMMs. I have a couple. Have had the 550TT and the 1100TT, too.
Never tried the Nano. :idk

I do feel like the 550TT and the version pictured below are the best bang for the buck in DMM
land. The Nano is not that much cheaper comparatively speaking. I tend to swing for the fences
when it comes to iconic pedals. Don't settle. :beer

Be forewarned these are not run it in the FX Loop Delays. Best utilized out in front of the amp
after any dirt/od you are also running.
oxddqak9rchspmmvwqsa.jpg

So the big box XO production runs aren’t good?

IMG_4823.jpeg

The 550TT makes me nervous because it has all those other buttons and features etc

IMG_4826.jpeg

Pretty sure I posted a pic of the XO in my post, and said it is the best bang for the buck DMM
out there, along with the 550TT. :idk

The one you posted had the oldschool unfinished silver, wasn’t sure if that was some other version. They don’t make it easy by having some many versions.

The one you posted had the oldschool unfinished silver, wasn’t sure if that was some other version. They don’t make it easy by having some many versions.
Nah, that's the XO series. They reissued a good bunch of their "oldies" from the Trapezoid era in contemporary/sturdier format.

I still have both versions of the Octave Multiplexer, and I used to have the Pulsar.

I have several other Trapezoid ones as well, and they're lovely, but wacky and have very left-field PSU requirements (from today's perspective).

Last edited:
Nah, that's the XO series. They reissued a good bunch of their "oldies" from the Trapezoid era in contemporary/sturdier format.

I still have both versions of the Octave Multiplexer, and I used to have the Pulsar.

I have several other Trapezoid ones as well, and they're lovely, but wacky and have very left-field PSU requirements (from today's perspective).

Ok that’s where I was getting confused. So any of the big boxes are technically considered XO.

Was just curious if anyone has tried the Nano’s. (Though I’m for sure leaning to the big box)

Was just curious if anyone has tried the Nano’s. (Though I’m for sure leaning to the big box)

I had the Nano. Sounded pretty great. Loved the sound actually. Knobs were annoying and fiddly. Simple but not versatile.

After six months use, I stupidly changed a patch cable while it was switched on. It died. I’m guessing there was a static discharge or a sudden spike. They are delicate devices, so beware. That was an expensive lesson to learn.

Somebody else mentioned the Halo. Obviously not the same sound but it does have a modulation that gets in the ball park and it’s a much more robust and versatile pedal. Also sounds gorgeous. I would choose the Halo over the Nano any day of the week. One of the best delays ever made.

That's a DSP'er, though. :idk

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :beer

If I am chasing a DMM it is going to be analog. Otherwise, why?

New York Whiskey GIF by Xbox
I didn't see the requirement for Analog anywhere, and thought the small box aspect of the Nano was the appeal. My bad.

I had the Nano. Sounded pretty great. Loved the sound actually. Knobs were annoying and fiddly. Simple but not versatile.

After six months use, I stupidly changed a patch cable while it was switched on. It died. I’m guessing there was a static discharge or a sudden spike. They are delicate devices, so beware. That was an expensive lesson to learn.

Somebody else mentioned the Halo. Obviously not the same sound but it does have a modulation that gets in the ball park and it’s a much more robust and versatile pedal. Also sounds gorgeous. I would choose the Halo over the Nano any day of the week. One of the best delays ever made.

Yeah the Halo falls into the…

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

category for sure.

But I’m pretty much obsessed with the DMM on the Fractal, so I need to scratch that itch. Was wondering how much of the “magic” you give up with the Nano since the 9V ps and small footprint looks appealing on paper otherwise.

Reading above though, I think I must go with the Death Star version. :ROFLMAO:

I didn't see the requirement for Analog anywhere, and thought the small box aspect of the Nano was the appeal. My bad.

No bad. No analog requirement. Unless you are a bonafide nutbag about DMMs.... and some of us here qualify
for that many times over. :beer

Back