Devin Townsend rig rundown, very interesting info

Devin and Mike Keneally holy crap what a lineup

The tour he did right as covid hit was AWESOME; him, Keneally and a bunch of really f*cking good musicians because he wanted to do everything live without any backing tracks or clicks. I caught the second to last night of the tour, the whole band was sick, they had a couch brought onstage where one of the guitar techs laid down in between checking tunings of guitars. Dev and Mike would just walk up and grab a guitar from him and made it part of the show. Best I’ve ever heard him. Everything Keneally’s in sounds better. Vai, Satch, Dethklok, Devin….

You can see the tech on the right-

The tour he did right as covid hit was AWESOME; him, Keneally and a bunch of really f*cking good musicians because he wanted to do everything live without any backing tracks or clicks. I caught the second to last night of the tour, the whole band was sick, they had a couch brought onstage where one of the guitar techs laid down in between checking tunings of guitars. Dev and Mike would just walk up and grab a guitar from him and made it part of the show. Best I’ve ever heard him.

That man is my guru. I saw him on that tour when they came to Charlotte and it was such a blast. The previous two times with DTP were awesome but it was great seeing a more stripped down kind of production. Absolutely nothing felt missing. You could tell Devin was having a blast by the way that him and Keneally kept looking over and smiling at each other.

The best part was when he had all the small children sit on stage so they wouldn't get crushed in the mosh pit during Love. It was a really quirky yet heartwarming moment. So of course I then had to jump in the pit.

That man is my guru. I saw him on that tour when they came to Charlotte and it was such a blast. The previous two times with DTP were awesome but it was great seeing a more stripped down kind of production. Absolutely nothing felt missing. You could tell Devin was having a blast by the way that him and Keneally kept looking over and smiling at each other.

The best part was when he had all the small children sit on stage so they wouldn't get crushed in the mosh pit during Love. It was a really quirky yet heartwarming moment. So of course I then had to jump in the pit.

It’s too bad that tour turned into such a sh*tshow and I hope it doesn’t hold him back from putting a band of that caliber together again. I know his GoFundMe to pay them all passed it’s goal and I was stoked to see that, but the goal was only $60K and I’d imagine there was a hell of a lot more money tied up in it than $60k. He just said a few months ago that all the gear is still in a storage locker in Nashville, too.

Definitely agree about him having more fun up there. After all the BS he went through with his tracks and video on the final DTP tour it must have been a huge relief to just go out and play without worrying about sh*t breaking down.

The tour he did right as covid hit was AWESOME; him, Keneally and a bunch of really f*cking good musicians because he wanted to do everything live without any backing tracks or clicks. I caught the second to last night of the tour, the whole band was sick, they had a couch brought onstage where one of the guitar techs laid down in between checking tunings of guitars. Dev and Mike would just walk up and grab a guitar from him and made it part of the show. Best I’ve ever heard him. Everything Keneally’s in sounds better. Vai, Satch, Dethklok, Devin….

Echo this. Saw him 3/1/2020 in Boston at the Paradise Rock club. KILLER show. The band was great. Devin was great. And the record they were touring under, Empath, is just incredible. It must have been almost the entire next year that I listened to nothing but Devin, the show had that much of an impact. Not a bad way to spend COVID lockdown.

Last edited:
Back