Deck the Halls with pop/punk gang vocals

Boudoir Guitar

Rock Star
Mix is awful rough at the moment and I need to smooth out the drums a bit blah-blah-excuses-excuses. Anywho, this was super fun to whip together this week - mostly because I've never had an excuse to record myself en masse to create snotty gang vocals :annoying:annoying:annoying:annoying.

My wife is currently directing a production of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It's a bad kids collide with the good kids and everybody learns something story. There is a scene where one of the bad kids is smoking in the church bathroom and sets off the smoke alarm - which is basically just an excuse for 20-30 seconds of on-stage pandemonium with kids and firemen running around all over the place. She asked if I could do some sort of punk-vibe Christmas carol for that scene and this is what I came up with:

EDIT: skip down to next post for the audio-only, and a few more posts to the full trailer with the audio track and photos from dress rehearsal.

Last edited:
Mix is awful rough at the moment and I need to smooth out the drums a bit blah-blah-excuses-excuses. Anywho, this was super fun to whip together this week - mostly because I've never had an excuse to record myself en masse to create snotty gang vocals :annoying:annoying:annoying:annoying.

My wife is currently directing a production of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It's a bad kids collide with the good kids and everybody learns something story. There is a scene where one of the bad kids is smoking in the church bathroom and sets off the smoke alarm - which is basically just an excuse for 20-30 seconds of on-stage pandemonium with kids and firemen running around all over the place. She asked if I could do some sort of punk-vibe Christmas carol for that scene and this is what I came up with:

Sounds great! I dig it! :rawk

Nice! People are going to dig it!
I photographed the dress rehearsal with some borrowed camera equipment that I didn't know, and that was sub-optimal for the job at hand so to cover my ass I took about 3 billion pics. What was amazing in going back through them was the amount of character acting you could see in every one of those photos (whether they were in focus or properly exposed was another matter). Even the kids that don't have much for lines are on stage for nearly an hour and acting their asses off, without over-acting, the entire time.

I photographed the dress rehearsal with some borrowed camera equipment that I didn't know, and that was sub-optimal for the job at hand so to cover my ass I took about 3 billion pics. What was amazing in going back through them was the amount of character acting you could see in every one of those photos (whether they were in focus or properly exposed was another matter). Even the kids that don't have much for lines are on stage for nearly an hour and acting their asses off, without over-acting, the entire time.
That's awesome.

Fun tune.

Also, fun vid. Wise recognizing the camera equipment was sub-optimal and smart to use the "spray and pray" technique.

EDIT: skip down to next post for the audio-only, and a few more posts to the full trailer with the audio track and photos from dress rehearsal.
Ha - very nice.

Now just go back and weave in a few riffs or lead lines doing the melody of smoking in the boys room, and then transition back to deck the halls. 😁

Fun tune.

Also, fun vid. Wise recognizing the camera equipment was sub-optimal and smart to use the "spray and pray" technique.
I finally had a 70-200 f2.8 on an older Canon body that I actually knew how to use last night. It was opening night in a small community theatre (converted church) that was sold out, so I didn't wanna be a jack ass taking lots of pics, but was able to snag a few key images that the 50/1.8 and 24-70/F4 kinda let me down on. I don't do enough photography to justify owning a rig like that, but holy smokes is the price justified. Also, way more fun shooting when you trust the images to come out as you shot them.

I finally had a 70-200 f2.8 on an older Canon body that I actually knew how to use last night. It was opening night in a small community theatre (converted church) that was sold out, so I didn't wanna be a jack ass taking lots of pics, but was able to snag a few key images that the 50/1.8 and 24-70/F4 kinda let me down on. I don't do enough photography to justify owning a rig like that, but holy smokes is the price justified. Also, way more fun shooting when you trust the images to come out as you shot them.
That's a pretty sweet setup with that Canon 70-200 f2.8 and you did a great job for not doing a lot of photography. I've got a Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VII for my old Nikon D750 that is similarly price-justified. Same as you, I don't do enough photography, or even enough with that lens, to truly justify it, instead mostly using the more focally-versatile 24-120 f4 Nikkor lens (at least I made enough back on royalties to justify that lens on a small-scale shoot).

Back