Cooking 101

Axe

Roadie
Cooking.. simple, non labor intensive recipes that kick ass!

Holiday season, I cook a lot, I smoke a ham w/hickory chips for T day and Xmas every yr...

One of the side dishes I make is

"Southern Cabbage"

One large cabbage chopped
One Large Onion chopped
6 lbs of bacon ,,, just kidding but why not :grin
6-8 strips of bacon
1/2 cup of Chicken broth

Cook Bacon to just crispy.. Leave grease (of course)
Add cabbage, onion and chicken broth to remaining bacon grease
Cook down till it looks like shit,, reduce to simmer..
Crumble bacon and sprinkle on top.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve and hope every one refrains

I could eat this every effin day

Whatcha got?

Last edited:
"Œufs avec du Pain, du Beurre et du Fromage"

2 Eggs
2 pieces of Bread
2 pieces of Cheese
Butter

Break eggs on oiled hot frying pan.
Spread butter on bread, put cheese on top.
Remove eggs from frying pan onto a plate, salt.

Bon Appétit !

1 block Velveeta
2 cans Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chili)
1 bag Fritos

Crock pot or double boiler to melt cheese and Rotel

:chef

This but also toss in a cup or two of extra sharp cheddar and a can of this

000148380-1

This sounds complicated but it’s easy as shit.

Tuna and Brie quesadillas. I had them at a fancy wedding once. I was like “holy shit what are these?” And the lady said “tuna and Brie quesadillas.” I said “damn what’s in them?” And she just looks at me like I’m an idiot and goes “umm… tuna…. and brie”. And I was like “well holy motherfuckin macaroni…”

So get a can of solid albacore in water, drain it, cut up Brie rind and all. Sprinkle some garlic powder, and put that in between two tortillas, fry it up in a pan a viola. Umm… tuna… and Brie quesadillas.

Uncle Deon's breakfast tacos.
-Any cured or smoked deli meat. Chorizo, cacciatore or bacon work well.
-Sliced capsicum (bell pepper) and onion.
-Fry in pan for a few minutes
-Add a little cumin, paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
-Add egg. Cook it however you like. I like it fried over easy.
-Add to warm flour tortillas. The Mission "street tacos" in Aus are the closest thing we get to a decent tortilla here.
-Add kewpie mayo and cholula hot sauce to taste.
-Seriously, add the kewpie mayo. It rips hard.

Cooking.. simple, non labor intensive recipes that kick ass!

Holiday season, I cook a lot, I smoke a ham w/hickory chips for T day and Xmas every yr...

One of the side dishes I make is

"Southern Cabbage"

One large cabbage chopped
One Large Onion chopped
6 lbs of bacon ,,, just kidding but why not :grin
6-8 strips of bacon
1/2 cup of Chicken broth

Cook Bacon to just crispy.. Leave grease (of course)
Add cabbage, onion and chicken broth to remaining bacon grease
Cook down till it looks like shit,, reduce to simmer..
Crumble bacon and sprinkle on top.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve and hope every one refrains

I could eat this every effin day

Whatcha got?
I do something similar to this. I only use 2 to 4 strips of bacon. After cooking the bacon I cut up some kielbasa and brown that in the bacon grease. Pull the kielbasa out and then put the cabbage and onion in the ban and cover it. I don't add any broth. The cabbage has enough water in it. When I plate it, I drizzle some sriracha sauce over it. I love this stuff!

Reactions: Axe
Not so much a recipe, but a technique/trick I have for making a meat-based chili that has some sweet/spicy aspects with the heat coming in a couple minutes after the fact.

Oven- 325-350
Line a baking sheet with foil, lay out all the scraps and cover them with all your spices you normally use, I used to have a whole collection of butt/dry rubs and the spicier, the better. Avoid putting any sugars in the mix for now. Cover it with more foil and toss it in the oven for a couple hours, you don’t want to smell any burning, low and slow.

What’s you‘re waiting for is that fat to melt back into the meat, that’s carrying the flavor from outside the meat to inside, while the sugars in the meat are cooking out and coming to the surface. You want the meat to be as tender as posisible, not chewy, keep trying pieces to make sure you don’t cook it too long.

Once you’re satisfied with the texture/tenderness, make a mixture of brown sugar and salt, like 3/4’s brown sugar, 1/4 salt and sprinkle it all over the top of the meat, doesn’t have to be thoroughly coated, but try to get each piece. Put the oven rack lower than the medium height and put the oven on broil, watch it while it sits in there and watch the sugars melt as some ends of the meat start to char, once there’s an even charring around the whole thing, let it cool for about a half hour before adding it to the chili and letting it all cook together.

When you end up eating it, you get the awesome crispy but tender texture of the meat, the initial bite gives you some sweetness but as you chew it, the heat starts kicking in. The fattier meat, the better it all works!

Chinese Chicken Fingers

1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
~ 1.75 cups water

Whisk everything but add the water slow. The batter should be thick enough for the chicken pieces to float on top of it.
Coat well and then fry in 375 degree peanut oil until golden brown. Add your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!

image-2022-04-12T203136.128-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back