Clip-on tuner for acoustic in loud environment?

Snags

Groupie
Has anyone got a go-to favourite clip-on tuner to use with an acoustic in a loud environment where you have no hope of nipping off somewhere quiet for 30 seconds?

Normally even with acoustic I either have a small pedalboard with a tuner, or am playing in places where the monitoring is good enough to tune by ear when shifting in or out of drop-D etc., or there's not a huge amount of background noise so a regular cheapo clip-on works fine.

Occasionally (yesterday being a case in point) I'm somewhere with an insane amount of background noise, behind the PA with no monitor, no pedalboard, and the background noise was enough to vibrate the top enough to mess with the tuner, particularly on the low E, so coming in/out of some double drop-D songs was a bit awkward (and one of them ended up being drop-D on the high E and roughly drop-D# on the low E which was ... not great.

I guess the answer is to take a TU-2 and a battery, but a clip-on is a lot more convenient, particularly when walking to/from gigs.

Back