Building my first guitar! Influence my specs!

JerEvil

Roadie
Yep. And it’s gonna be a pain in the tits!

I was able to get a body template of the Jackson Extreme Warrior shape from a builder for a few bucks and I’ve wanted one if those for years.

For reference:
15D24305-8CF8-48F1-BD90-5CB502F5B861.jpeg

It’ll be neck-thru for sure. Probably flat top with belly cut. Planning to keep it sort of modest but who knows…

Here are my proposed specs.

• 7 piece neck (Wenge, Purple Heart and flamed maple - maybe roasted)
• Mahogany wings
• Ebony fretboard w/binding
• Custom inlay at 12th fret
• Stainless Steel frets

NOW, the stuff I’m still sorting out
• likely a recessed Floyd but maybe a Kahler w/Floyd nut
• Need to decide on the top
- Either white w/blood spatter or
- sexy wood like Spalted maple and stain
• Thinking about 27 frets with angled neck end
• Still up in the air on main body wood

I’ll literally be doing 90% of the build with oversight by my drummer… who builds really solid guitars. It’ll run me about $1250 all in.

Good luck man!

I just started my first guitar build as well, but I bought a pre-made neck... not ballsy enough to do that on my first run. Maybe next time

white w/blood spatter

thinking about 27 frets with angled neck end (this is actually badass, I have it on one of my Caparisons and it kicks ass)

Stainless Steel frets (always.....in addition to this, I'd urge you to find something with smaller frets, everybody always goes Jumbo or whatever, and I have vintage size frets on a few guitars and it helps a lot with intonation)

Still up in the air on main body wood - just go mahogany with a maple cap....it's a tried and true formula and works great for all kinds of styles, especially yours

Stoked to see this Jer, I'll be looking for updates.

I'd check out a gotoh 1996t trem... quality is equal to or better than an OFR. They are much cheaper and have larger beefier studs that actually lock into place once you set the height. They come with a brass block and the push in bar design is awesome. Very responsive and slick.

Can't wait to see your finished pointy guitar build. 🤘😜

I'd check out a gotoh 1996t trem... quality is equal to or better than an OFR. They are much cheaper and have larger beefier studs that actually lock into place once you set the height. They come with a brass block and the push in bar design is awesome. Very responsive and slick.

Can't wait to see your finished pointy guitar build. 🤘😜
Nice! I’ll check them out for sure.

Dunno if you can get the truss rod adjuster @ the PU end of the neck and also have those few angled extra frets, but I love this feature on EBMM guitars, as it makes adjustments quick and easy. If you can't, I'd ditch those few extra angled frets in favor of this design. I mean, how often do you need to actually fret a note that high anyway? Good upper fret access also allows relatively easy 1.5 step bends on that 24th fret.

Dunno if you can get the truss rod adjuster @ the PU end of the neck and also have those few angled extra frets, but I love this feature on EBMM guitars, as it makes adjustments quick and easy. If you can't, I'd ditch those few extra angled frets in favor of this design. I mean, how often do you need to actually fret a note that high anyway? Good upper fret access also allows relatively easy 1.5 step bends on that 24th fret.
Yeah I’ve weighed this as well. The angled 27 is more aesthetic than anything else. I love how it looks but honestly, upper fret access will not be an issue.

The angled 27 is more aesthetic than anything else.
I kinda figured...
That's where personal taste makes your decision for you. I've definitely bought things more based on looks than practicality. Pretty much every vehicle I've owned has been that way. Haha

I guess it also depends on how often the guitar would be subjected to temperature/humidity changes that would require a TR adjustment. I don't gig right now, so my guitars hardly ever need any adjustments. But if I did, I'd want some type of easy way to tweak the truss rod.

Which reminds me... I saw on the EBMM site that they sell an actual tool for doing that adjustment. You can literally stick anything small down into that wheel and turn it, but I suppose some bean-counter-type came up with the idea: "Hey, let's make a 20-cent tool for this that we can charge people 5 bucks for." SMH

Good choice on guitar for your first build. I always gravitate towards the more extreme shapes myself.

I don't have much advice for specs, but can offer a few things I've learned hobby building.
  • Have your plans fully drawn out to scale before starting
  • Have all the parts you're going to use in hand before starting
  • Bridge alignment and neck angle are two of the most important items to get right. Nothing can F up a build more than getting one of those 2 misaligned.
  • Cutting the fret slots is probably the next thing in line on the importance list. Make sure your measurements are accurate.
  • If you're doing stainless steel frets be prepared for some hard labor cutting them. And don't be shocked if your fret nippers get chipped. They hold up forever for playing but suck to work on.
  • Templates are your best friends. You don't need to buy them either. Most templates can be made from scrap pieces.
  • A big game changer for me... The masking tape and superglue trick. If you don't know about this look it up, you'll thank me later.
  • Take your time and always test on scrap before going on the real thing.
Luckily you'll have your drummer to help you through the build. A couple of other good resources if you need are Melvyn Hiscock's book Make your own electric guitar, and MIMF.com (builders forum). Those two sources were the biggest help in my learning.

Last little bit of info... Building can be right up there with GAS and next thing you know you're overrun with several dozen guitars you built. Ask me how I know about that one LOL.

Back