Bogner pedals. 5 gain stages except for when it isn’t.

KingsXJJ

Roadie
Hey all,

I bought a Bogner full sized red and blue a while back. Then an Ubershall as well. The reviews were pretty stellar with plenty of comments on the 5 star tone and internal build quality. I have to admit, I was sold on what I heard and ended up buying an Ecstasy head and some matching cabs. I have since sold the latter and embarked on capturing Bogner tones via pedals. It’s a cheaper route and with a killer pedal platform tube amp close enough for this bedroom/home studio warrior. One thing I found intriguing was 5 gain stage approach used on the Red, Blue, Ubershall and La Grange pedals. Add in the mini-switch options which some of presumably allow you to dial up or down how many are used and that’s pretty unique. I assume the “variac” switch allows the use of the fifth one as added amplifier sag. I don’t know but I like it.

I saw some stuff on sale at Sweetwater recently and ordered a Burnley distortion for $79 and a couple of Harlow boost/bloom(compressor) units as well at the same price. These use transformers to take it up a notch. They are on the way.

I guess my point or question is whether anyone else has had a favorable experience with these or owned an Ecstasy head and then went the pedal route as these pedals cover so much ground compared to a single head. I’ve owned both the Ecstasy 3532 and Atmos head. While they were phenomenal, I think I may have found a shortcut for about 3K less.

😏

I've got a mate who uses one of the Burnley distortions, into a Jazz Chorus, and it sounds proper meaty.

I wondered who got on these deals as I knew it seemed like all sorts of people were talking about them. I feel like if you want the Bogner Experience; you have to get a Bogner. I've had the og red and blue (iirc?). The red had footswitch issues and I didn't really like it. I was honestly just trying to relive my Hafler Triple Giant experience. Which would have only been bested by getting an actual Bogner vs using a Bogner designed circuit. Report back once you have the Bogner pedal rig sorted.

I’ve been tempted by those bigger pedals when they go on the deeply discounted sales. Almost bought several of them. I haven’t played the real amp, but I’ve found all the models of them to be voiced a lot darker than I like. I need to play the amps to see if that’s accurate or not, but I tend to assume it generally is and they’re probably not for me. I lusted after them for a long time, only to find I probably wouldn’t like them really.

Curious how the pedals work out for you and hot they’re voiced. The transformer bit had me curious.

D

Reactions: JT
^^Yup. Definitely on the darker end of the tonal spectrum. Especially if you like/prefer historic Marshall tones.

Last edited:
^^Yup. Definitely on the darker end of the tonal spectrum. Especially if you like/prefer historic Marshall tones.
Like most Bogner. I actually prefer that as Marshall tends to be a bit bright for my tastes. I’d say the Bogner pedals definitely let you know you are in the Bogner territory. Whether they replicate an entire Ecstacy amp is being unrealistic but the preamp tones are pretty close. I like them so far and the boost built in is very useful. The big blue is amazingly kind of in a class of it’s own.

Like most Bogner. I actually prefer that as Marshall tends to be a bit bright for my tastes. I’d say the Bogner pedals definitely let you know you are in the Bogner territory. Whether they replicate an entire Ecstacy amp is being unrealistic but the preamp tones are pretty close. I like them so far and the boost built in is very useful. The big blue is amazingly kind of in a class of it’s own.
I.......need a Bogner amp in my life at some point. Closest I ever got was the Triple Giant and the Uber module. I can't seem to muster up the desire to muster up the $ to make it happen.

That's interesting. My experience is The Big Blue is the most authentic of the bunch,
and the closest to an amp like pedal of the bunch. The Burnely reminds me of my old
Shiva OD channel. I have bought and sold the Big Blue a few times. Wish I could coax
just a tad more gain out of it. Feel wise it is spot on!! :chef

I have the Red and Blue Mini now (from the sale) and they both sound pedaly.

The Big Box Red was decent on its own, but is supercompressed and I couldn't get it to
stand out in a mix properly no matter how I set it.

I.......need a Bogner amp in my life at some point. Closest I ever got was the Triple Giant and the Uber module. I can't seem to muster up the desire to muster up the $ to make it happen.

I sold my Shiva for like $975. :brick

Turned it into a Goldfinger 45 which I still have and like better. Shiva OD was just
super dark to me. Clean channel on the Shiva was GOLD!! :love

• Hmm
Reactions: JT
I sold my Shiva for like $975. :brick

Turned it into a Goldfinger 45 which I still have and like better. Shiva OD was just
super dark to me. Clean channel on the Shiva was GOLD!! :love
I always thought those Goldfingers looked super cool. I have never GAS'd for a Shiva as I always pretty much looked at the Uber
:rubshands

I played 2 different Uberschall models at the Zen vault and I think I like the Uber module more. They knocked it out of the park with that module.

The Ecstacy head though. Nothing like it.

I played 2 different Uberschall models at the Zen vault and I think I like the Uber module more. They knocked it out of the park with that module.

That is nuts. That Zen room is godly I bet. I checked out the Dirty Shirley vid the other day and good lord! :chef

I have two of the Ubershall pedals. While I’ve never played the head or module, I like them. They sound and feel great no matter what gain you are shooting for. Very versatile in that regard.

Got the Burnley in today. Holy Cow. I like it a lot. Fat and tight switch results in very different tones. Fat is very beefy and chunky but not loose. Tight is quieter with slightly lower gain. Both scream with the gain pushed. No booster needed. But I will try with the Harlow when it gets here… for science.

Hey all,

I bought a Bogner full sized red and blue a while back. Then an Ubershall as well. The reviews were pretty stellar with plenty of comments on the 5 star tone and internal build quality. I have to admit, I was sold on what I heard and ended up buying an Ecstasy head and some matching cabs. I have since sold the latter and embarked on capturing Bogner tones via pedals. It’s a cheaper route and with a killer pedal platform tube amp close enough for this bedroom/home studio warrior. One thing I found intriguing was 5 gain stage approach used on the Red, Blue, Ubershall and La Grange pedals. Add in the mini-switch options which some of presumably allow you to dial up or down how many are used and that’s pretty unique. I assume the “variac” switch allows the use of the fifth one as added amplifier sag. I don’t know but I like it.

I saw some stuff on sale at Sweetwater recently and ordered a Burnley distortion for $79 and a couple of Harlow boost/bloom(compressor) units as well at the same price. These use transformers to take it up a notch. They are on the way.

I guess my point or question is whether anyone else has had a favorable experience with these or owned an Ecstasy head and then went the pedal route as these pedals cover so much ground compared to a single head. I’ve owned both the Ecstasy 3532 and Atmos head. While they were phenomenal, I think I may have found a shortcut for about 3K less.

😏
i had an ecstasy 101B and an old 100A for many years, and now i have the ecstasy 3534.

the pedals sound great but not the same as the heads. i prefer the heads, and don't expect the pedals to replace them, but they are great to have around to use in other rigs.

Back