Best Pedal for Drop Tunings

Byrdman

Roadie
I started playing with a couple of more experienced guys a few months ago and everything is going well so far. They tend to play a lot of heavier stuff in Eb, Drop Db, some C std, etc.

I have a Stomp XL, but the pitch effects uses a lot of DSP and although my presets are not that DSP heavy, I use a up the blocks splitting the output to be able to run to amps naked and FOH with IR's, so I'm running out of block space vs DSP limits so far.

Thinking of adding either a HX One or Drop or ??? to add to my setup vs a 2nd or 3d guitar like the other guys are doing. What do you recommend? Should I just get another guitar instead?

i would not use a pedal for what you are describing. can the drop even do standard to a drop tuning like you are talking about? you'd still have to deal with the 6th string right???

keep it to 2 tunings and bring 2 guitars. i am sure the drop is good but it still has its limitations, you dont want to use pedals when going more than a step

you'd still have to deal with the 6th string right???

This is a good point. Using a Drop pedal or Pitch Shifter like that impacts ALL strings equally.
So you still have to drop the E to D when transitioning. You can go from E Standard to Eb
Standard, and from Drop D to Drop C, C#, and B, though.

Maybe 2 guitars (or quick 6th string tuning changes) AND a Drop pedal is the way to go. :idk

I've done the 3 and 4 guitars to a gig. Done the drop pedals (Morpheus way back in the day, and
then a Whammy DT after). Heck, I'd even Capo up 1 or 2 frets for some songs with the Whammy DT.

Currently using the Virtual Capo in the Fractal to get to drop C, C#, and drop B.

This is a good point. Using a Drop pedal or Pitch Shifter like that impacts ALL strings equally.
So you still have to drop the E to D when transitioning. You can go from E Standard to Eb
Standard, and from Drop D to Drop C, C#, and B, though.

Maybe 2 guitars (or quick 6th string tuning changes) AND a Drop pedal is the way to go. :idk

I've done the 3 and 4 guitars to a gig. Done the drop pedals (Morpheus way back in the day, and
then a Whammy DT after). Heck, I'd even Capo up 1 or 2 frets for some songs with the Whammy DT.

Currently using the Virtual Capo in the Fractal to get to drop C, C#, and drop B.
Either 2 guitars, or do what I do, which is, use a pitchkey for drop D. VERY quick and accurate.

I had the same issue with the Poly Capo. My recent solution was to get the Pod Go. The recent updates on the PG meant I could do my core tone there and then run the Stomp in front and through the effects loop of the PG. It’s all new for me so I haven’t done 2 signal paths simultaneously on the stomp yet, but I have used it for poly capo in front of the PG and it worked great.

Back