AXE III JCM800 2203 vs. JVM410H Crunch Red

texhex

Roadie
You've heard about matching a Modeler to an amp... but what about matching an amp to a Modeler? Since I don't have a real 2203 I thought this would be fun.

A vs. B Which is which? Well stupid me left the names in the track titles but they are actually originally named wrong.

A = AMP
B = AXE

You can see (and hear... shitty Reaper) when I un-solo between track A (top track) and track B (middle track) during recording.

AXE-III Marshall JCM 800 2203 High default settings:

XX9aD7b.png

JVM410H Crunch Red dialed in to "match". Had to bump the Middle and Treble:

dc5tyYn.jpg

And bump the Resonance:

XU3glmM.jpg

Last edited:
Dang those sound really similar to me lol the top one seems to have a tad more top end? So maybe top is the real amp?

You've heard about matching a Modeler to an amp... but what about matching an amp to a Modeler? Since I don't have a real 2203 I thought this would be fun.

A vs. B Which is which?

You can see (and hear... shitty Reaper) when I un-solo between track A (top track) and track B (middle track) during recording.

AXE-III Marshall JCM 800 2203 High default settings:

XX9aD7b.png

JVM410H Crunch Red dialed in to "match". Had to bump the Middle and Treble:

dc5tyYn.jpg

And bump the Resonance:

XU3glmM.jpg

I actually slightly preferred the sound of the Axe-FX here, but they sound very close and both sound good. Cliff & Co have really nailed the texture and decay of tube distortion. I continue to be impressed.

I actually slightly preferred the sound of the Axe-FX here, but they sound very close and both sound good. Cliff & Co have really nailed the texture and decay of tube distortion. I continue to be impressed.
Did Tex message you which was which or am I missing something

I did wonder if it was a reverse-psychology trick. Still a really interesting comparison regardless! :)

Actually NO! Those aren’t labeled right. Dude... I’m so dumb. I originally had A labeled as the AXE when in fact it was the Amp. I’ve updated the OP.

Last edited:
Very close!

How the JVM410 model compares with the same settings?

EDIT; Crap, there is no JVM Crunch channel in the AxeFx. :wat

Last edited:
Back