Anyone fancy collaborating on some 90’s alt metal?

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
I’m thinking something big and riffy, plenty of groove balanced against more interesting production and fx. Dynamics, groove, rhythm, texture, ambience, No solos, no widdly prog stuff, no individual attention seeking. All about the sum of the parts.

Something along the lines of Helmet, Deftones, Soundgarden, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Smashing Pumpkins, Quicksand, Filter, Chevelle, Sevendust etc. Also up for sneaking in some of the more credible aspects of Nu Metal/Butt Rock influence.

Loosely thinking:

- not tons of layers of guitars, offsetting big+bold riffs with interesting production
- sparse clean guitars with fx, drum machines, synths, loops
- incorporating unexpected/riskier sounds, create contrast and dynamics between the big and raw riffs

Think the sounds of Brendan O Brien, Terry Date, Andy Wallace, Ben Grosse, TLA, Jay Baumgardner, Toby Wright

Last edited:
Dynamics, groove, rhythm, texture, ambience, No solos, no widdly prog stuff, no individual attention seeking. All about the sum of the parts.
I’d be interested. Let me know if there’s a part you’d like to fill. Even if it’s just doubling a track. I’d be glad to submit something.

This is not right up my alley, this IS my alley.

Would love to contribute in any way I could but would probably have a lot more vocally to contribute than anything else!

This is not right up my alley, this IS my alley.

Would love to contribute in any way I could but would probably have a lot more vocally to contribute than anything else!
Hop on man! Vocals are absolutely welcome, they are probably the main thing I simply won't be doing. But if you fancy getting stuck in on some writing or production I'd be down too.

Do we have any (actual) bassists round here? I love what a bassists brain can contribute to a song, rather than a guitarist playing bass....

Hop on man! Vocals are absolutely welcome, they are probably the main thing I simply won't be doing. But if you fancy getting stuck in on some writing or production I'd be down too.

Do we have any (actual) bassists round here? I love what a bassists brain can contribute to a song, rather than a guitarist playing bass....

I’d be happy to play some bass, too! Not the ‘guitar player playing bass’ thing, I can play juuuust enough to escape that.

I’d be happy to play some bass, too! Not the ‘guitar player playing bass’ thing, I can play juuuust enough to escape that.

Mudvayne=say no more. I way prefer bass showing off a bit than guitars. I'm sure because this kind of stuff is up your street you'd write the right parts, I think its just about having the right ear and vocabulary for the parts than just technical proficiency.

If its bass and vocals you're mostly contributing, Ill try and get the songs developed a bit first before getting them over (UNLESS you have some vocal melodies or chord progressions or something that you think might be cool to work with)

Mudvayne=say no more. I way prefer bass showing off a bit than guitars. I'm sure because this kind of stuff is up your street you'd write the right parts, I think its just about having the right ear and vocabulary for the parts than just technical proficiency.

If its bass and vocals you're mostly contributing, Ill try and get the songs developed a bit first before getting them over (UNLESS you have some vocal melodies or chord progressions or something that you think might be cool to work with)

Nah, go ahead and develop them as much as you want first. I far prefer writing vocal stuff over a bed of music already written. I think in 25 years I’ve written music around a vocal melody once.

I’d likely just hang you the DI’s for the bass parts and let you do what ya wanted with the tones. I’ll send you a couple samples first to ensure the playing is going in the direction ya want since that’ll have a pretty big effect on the tone in the final result, but we can just go from there!

I love what a bassists brain can contribute to a song, rather than a guitarist playing bass....

uhhhhggg you mean like all the little in between notes that move and stuff
:puppet

1000131812.gif

Back