Anybody using a MIDI foot controller for DAW control?

paisleywookiee

Rock Star
Wanting something for Start/Stop/Record/Home, that I can trigger with my TARDIS slippers while recording, so I keep my hands on the wheel, so to speak. Oh and punch in. Any idea that's more cost-effective than a Morningstar, or is that really the shit, when it comes to this?

Sounds like a job for an Airstep Lite: https://xsonicaudio.com/products/airstep-lite
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Exactly why I asked here. I didn’t think of that one! Thanks!

Sounds like a job for an Airstep Lite: https://xsonicaudio.com/products/airstep-lite
I have some caveats about these.

I found that the programming app was way more flaky on Android than it is on iOS. Like I could have my iPhone and Samsung phone right next to the unit and the iPhone would be more reliable. Literally the only app where this is the case.

The presets themselves are not recalled from the Airstep memory, but instead are kept on the phone app and it might get synced to the cloud as part of phone backup. This makes it terrible if you happen to use iOS and Android, or want to swap from one to the other.

Otherwise it should do the job. Do note that the Airstep Lite, unlike the full Airstep, can only be used wirelessly via Bluetooth.

I have some caveats about these.

I found that the programming app was way more flaky on Android than it is on iOS. Like I could have my iPhone and Samsung phone right next to the unit and the iPhone would be more reliable. Literally the only app where this is the case.

The presets themselves are not recalled from the Airstep memory, but instead are kept on the phone app and it might get synced to the cloud as part of phone backup. This makes it terrible if you happen to use iOS and Android, or want to swap from one to the other.

Otherwise it should do the job. Do note that the Airstep Lite, unlike the full Airstep, can only be used wirelessly via Bluetooth.
Dear lord I'd never use an Android phone, so won't be a problem!

Wanting something for Start/Stop/Record/Home, that I can trigger with my TARDIS slippers while recording, so I keep my hands on the wheel, so to speak. Oh and punch in. Any idea that's more cost-effective than a Morningstar, or is that really the shit, when it comes to this?
You should check out stream deck. This is what I use, absolutely awesome DAW control.

Delete Take, and Duplicate and Arm save me so much time it’s not even funny as they’re multi-button macros. The Plus and Minus are for zooming in and out time-wise, and the rewind to 1 button takes me to Marker 1 in Reaper, which is usually a measure or two before the track starts. 1 Track View puts the track I have high lighted full-screen and zoom toggle does the inverse.
20230119_114141.jpg

You should check out stream deck. This is what I use, absolutely awesome DAW control.

Delete Take, and Duplicate and Arm save me so much time it’s not even funny as they’re multi-button macros. The Plus and Minus are for zooming in and out time-wise, and the rewind to 1 button takes me to Marker 1 in Reaper, which is usually a measure or two before the track starts. 1 Track View puts the track I have high lighted full-screen and zoom toggle does the inverse.
View attachment 25659
Can’t use that with your feet though can you?

If you are a Mac user, Stream Deck support is way worse than it is for Windows. Tons of plugins that just have no MacOS equivalent.

But you can still use it for any standard functionality like triggering keyboard shortcuts or sending MIDI.

I saw this thread and broke out my old clunky Rocktron MIDI Mate foot controller to do some transport functions in Reaper (Play, Toggle Record Arm, Record, Stop/Delete Take, Stop/Keep Take). I think it's going to speed up my workflow a bunch.

I'm kind of GASing for an Airstep now, for something a little more modern.

If you are a Mac user, Stream Deck support is way worse than it is for Windows. Tons of plugins that just have no MacOS equivalent.
Soundflow is mac only and is incredible for music related macros and scripts to be triggered from a Streamdeck (and all kinds of other things).

You should possibly consider a MIDI-to-key software (there's quite some, free ones included). That way, you could use pretty much any MIDI controller, throwing out any messages (should repeat the message once you press a switch twice, though), plus you wouldn't have to care about setting up new MIDI controls for your host as you could just keep using the normal keyboard commands/shortcuts.

Back