Any advice on how to integrate an ISP Deci-mate G String mini with overdrive pedal in front of high-gain amplifier w/ effects loop?

gearJunkie

Shredder
Expecting a Deci-mate mini noise gate pedal with the loop pigtail (g string?) this afternoon.

Does anyone have advice or "best practices" for integrating it with Mark VII head with an overdrive pedal out front?

:beer

Last edited:
I have the Rowin noise gate clone of the ISP. I will either put it after the last drive out front or first in the loop before time/modulation effects so that it doesn’t effect the delay/chorus pedals…watching this thread for other suggestions…👍🏻

Starting to suspect that the very long, detailed and specific thread title is some sort of callback ...

Futurama Squinting GIF

I didn't know they were that expensive! Mine is sitting on the shelf with the pigtail cable I bought separately. I like it up front with a gained up amp and dirt pedal \m/

I think I know how I would like to insert this thing into my rig(s), but that f'n pigtail cable should have TS female 1/4" jacks instead of male. :cuss

Amazon to the rescue with 1/4" TS female to female couplers inbound tomorrow.

I think I know how I would like to insert this thing into my rig(s), but that f'n pigtail cable should have TS female 1/4" jacks instead of male. :cuss

Amazon to the rescue with 1/4" TS female to female couplers inbound tomorrow.
I always looked at that Y cable that came with it and wondered how tf it was useful

Expecting a Deci-mate mini noise gate pedal with the loop pigtail (g string?) this afternoon.

Does anyone have advice or "best practices" for integrating it with Mark VII head with an overdrive pedal out front?

Hi gearJunkie,

I've got the full-sized pedal version, haven't used it for a long time. I'll risk assuming that the mini version operates on the same principles as their other ones.

Please forgive me if you already understand the principle of the operation, but really all that happens is the guitar signal triggers the ISP gate section that is connected into the FX loop, to open or close (sidechain triggering in the old money).

Like any gate get these pretty much only mask hiss, and being 4-cable are pretty good at creating ground loop hum/squealing in the rig as soon as any gain comes on. If there's hum or noise in the system caused by bad power supplies, ground loops etc. this thing will potentially make it worse.

As for positioning, stick the muting bit in the amp loop - if you mute the loop, there isn't any hiss except what is inherent from the FX return onwards in your amp of choice.

But from there I went a different direction - I only to connected to the guitar input of the ISP pedal - I didn't use the ISP guitar output.

I used a buffered splitter right at the start of the effects chain, which had a transformer isolated out that connected to the ISP guitar input (think Y-cable, one side ground loop isolated though).

This acted as the trigger to open and close the gate when a guitar signal was present/not present. Also broke the ground loop between the ISP and the rest of the rig.

The signal pre-gain into the effects chain-to-amp input came out of the normal output of the buffer splitter. Which was good as the ISP sucked a bit of tone with its lowish 500k input impedance.

Hope this helps. Sorry for being convoluted, to get the best out of these things from experience isn't really in the manual.

@Coalface1971 Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate the detailed side-chain explanation and it confirms my understanding of how the pedal operates.

My problem was figuring out where to physically place the pedal and how to use the stupid pigtail cable that comes with the mini.

:cuss

This is how it's connected now until a few cables and adapters arrive from Amazon.

PXL_20230524_211333995~2.jpg

Cabling issues aside, the pedal does it's job extremely well. :chef

@Coalface1971 Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate the detailed side-chain explanation and it confirms my understanding of how the pedal operates.

My problem was figuring out where to physically place the pedal and how to use the stupid pigtail cable that comes with the mini.

:cuss

This is how it's connected now until a few cables and adapters arrive from Amazon.

View attachment 7568

Cabling issues aside, the pedal does it's job extremely well. :chef

Excellent. Only ever used it in one rig. It was to keep the hiss down so it wasn't feeding the mod/delays post gain with hiss while I wasn't playing. Most of the time, being rack mounted, I'd forget to turn it on, anyway.

Back