All-in-One Do-Everything Pedal

Bauhaus

Hello! This is my first post so please go easy on me if I should have searched harder for the (likely) 10,000 other people who have asked this question in the same way!

I’m a beginner guitarist who is ready to start experimenting with effects and pedals. I’ve tried finding recommendations all over the internet, but most forum threads elsewhere will devolve into people just saying things like “learn your guitar before effects” or “just use your laptop for effects” or “just buy this $25 one from 1996” or “buy this $500 one!” I get the arguments for all those things. But I also believe in having fun and just splurging on something dumb, even if it’s useless to me now or ten years from now. I don’t want to spend more than $350, but preferably under $200.

With that said! I’m hoping all you experts can recommend a great all-in-one style pedal for a beginner looking to have fun, explore the purpose of different pedals, emulate my favorite bands (reasonably well), and experiment with sound. I won’t be playing live, and I probably won’t ever even play with anyone else. I don’t want anything too complex, but I also don’t want something that only does one or two things. Preferably, I would like some sort of middle ground between a “pro” multi-effects pedal and a cheaper multi effects pedal. I also don’t want something I have to program on a computer. I want something I can just lay beside me on the couch while I goof around.

At first I narrowed my search to three: the Zoom G1 Four ($60-80), Line 6 Pod Express ($180), or the Boss GT-1 ($180-200). Those fit my budget of, “I suck and just want to play around with something!” However, I started wondering if there are better options, or if you guys recommend any of those three based on the wall of words this post will turn into. I started heavily leaning toward the Pod Express at one point because it seems to capture a lot of what I want, but I’m afraid it might be too limited in some of the goofier aspects of the other two options. Or maybe I’m totally wrong! I love the fact it is much simpler and just has knobs without a screen. It does a lot, but not too much. It has most of the basic guitar pedal options covered and seems like it would be a good jumping off point. The Boss seems very complicated and may be overkill for me (also the most expensive). The Zoom sounds like it has the worst sound, and is the most toy-like of all of them. It seems a bit hokey, but I also see why it would be great for a beginner like me because it does so much for so little money…but all the things it does may be a novelty that wears quickly and I’ll wish I got something a little better quality. Someone I know mentioned the Boss IR2 would be great as well. That one seems like it may be way too limited in what I’m looking for. But again…I may be totally wrong. I’ve also looked at the Boss ME-90. I like the fact it’s “knob based”…not the technical term I imagine, but it’s also at the upper end of what I’m willing to pay…and I really, really would prefer less money involved for this first foray into pedal-land.

Some random bands/genres I love, or are currently playing sloppily along to (sloppily), are 70s/80s punk (The Ramones, Television, X, Discharge, GBH, etc.), 80s thrash/extreme metal (Sodom, Celtic Frost, early Bathory, Venom, along with a lot of black/death/trad/NWOBHM bands), post punk/80s indie (Magazine, Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets), and random other things like The Velvet Underground, The Feelies, and T Rex (these last three might be my greatest guitar loves…so even if that’s all it allows me to play, I’ll probably buy it, though I’d like to get some metal and Bauhaus tones as well, if possible!). I would love to be able to experiment and try to capture the tones of as many of those bands as possible with a single device. I know that may be impossible due to recording techniques and advanced trickery, but I would like to get as close as possible!

I prefer something new as well. Can anyone please decide for me!? I’m going crazy with all the options! Thank you to all who post even if it’s to tell me off for wanting too much out of one thing!

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks! Would you guys recommend anything over the ME-90 in that price range, or do you think that would roughly fit what I’m seeking? It’s a bit bigger than I was hoping (as a couch companion), but if it’s that great of a leap over something like the Pod Express, I’ll absolutely pull the trigger and go with it! I imagine it would be something that will last me a lot longer and be more useful in my guitar journey.

Ampero II stomp looks good at around that price.

Attachments

• 20240809_230121.jpg
    20240809_230121.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 6
Awesome, thanks! Would you guys recommend anything over the ME-90 in that price range, or do you think that would roughly fit what I’m seeking? It’s a bit bigger than I was hoping (as a couch companion), but if it’s that great of a leap over something like the Pod Express, I’ll absolutely pull the trigger and go with it! I imagine it would be something that will last me a lot longer and be more useful in my guitar journey.
ME-90: you want to see what its like to have pedals and easily see how turning the knobs of those pedals impact the sound.

GT-1: you want something you can get new that will have presets that include an entire signal chain from effects to amp/cab that are named in relation to artists/songs you'll probably recognize which will give you a pretty good starting point of "oooooooooo, THAT'S how they got that sound. Will have a decent version of just about all the effects, but will take a TAD bit more work compared to the ME-90 in terms of "what happens if I turn this knob on effect block A while also turning this other knob on effect B". Honestly, for someone looking to learn I'd advise this because while the presets aren't as accurate to the sound they claim to be to most of the folks around here, to someone just dipping their toe into this stuff they are a HUUUUUUGE help.

POD Express is a good shout, too. What you get are much fewer options, but slightly better sound quality. Whether a beginner will notice the difference in sound quality for a year or two is doubtful IMO.

While the folks around here love the more that we get out of the stuff that is $500 and up, the reality is that you can get some really great sounds out of all of the above, especially as a beginner.

Last edited:
Pod express sounds so good for under $200. If you think it will cover the sounds you want, go for it. If you can triple your budget, get an hx stomp. It is the true all in one do everything pedal. The pod express is more of a do a lot of things pedal. If those things are the things you’re looking for, it’s a no brainier. I own both and the pod express is not a compromise in sound quality, but is definitely a compromise in features. I can’t speak for the boss stuff I haven’t tried.

One other thing to consider is footswitches. I tend to overlook the really small units because they lack the ability to turn effects on and off with a tap of your foot, but that’s something that not everybody is concerned with.

One other thing to consider is footswitches. I tend to overlook the really small units because they lack the ability to turn effects on and off with a tap of your foot, but that’s something that not everybody is concerned with.
Totally agree, same here - some people don't seem to care, I guess it's a matter of the approach you're taking, where you're coming from, maybe even the musical genre, etc.

I've been in #teampedalboard for a long time, so I tend to prefer a good kitchen-sink Stomp Mode preset.

As expected, that works great with the Helix Floor and "smaller" but still decent enough with the HX FX.

9 blocks:
six effects on buttons
wah with auto on/off via expression
gate assigned to the drive footswitch
unassigned fx loop for the outboard preamp

With the 3-button Stomp, that would be a PITA, but one could always buy an extension Midi footswitch

I think only Boss will have a "true" metal distortion to do Frost, Venom etc., but that's really a guess based on their "real" metal pedals.

Totally agree, same here - some people don't seem to care, I guess it's a matter of the approach you're taking, where you're coming from, maybe even the musical genre, etc.

I've been in #teampedalboard for a long time, so I tend to prefer a good kitchen-sink Stomp Mode preset.

As expected, that works great with the Helix Floor and "smaller" but still decent enough with the HX FX.

9 blocks:
six effects on buttons
wah with auto on/off via expression
gate assigned to the drive footswitch
unassigned fx loop for the outboard preamp

With the 3-button Stomp, that would be a PITA, but one could always buy an extension Midi footswitch
dude says he is a beginner, looking for something to put on the couch next to him, and that the ME-90 is bigger than he wants ideally. I think he's okay not having a bunch of foot switches.

A computer is easier to use being placed on a couch than putting any kind of pedal I can think of there, including POD Express. They're kinda designed to be on a floor and stomped on, unlike rack units.

My Yamaha THR10 sits on a table and is easy to use there: plug in, no pedals, dial in the tones. My Orange Dark Terror and 1X12 has a mess of cables and pedals.

So far, we have no idea what guitar or amp, just couch friendly and a list of very different sounding bands. I remember when I bought myself a Fender HSS Strat, a modeler amp (Fender Mustang) and a Boss ME-80 and thought I would never want or need to buy any more gear (apart from strings) ever.

It was good for the first year or so. Great fun.

YMMV. :idk

I prefer something new as well. Can anyone please decide for me!? I’m going crazy with all the options! Thank you to all who post even if it’s to tell me off for wanting too much out of one thing!

Anything in the $200 range is going to be pretty limited in what it offers or can do. $350 is actually a good starting point though, which puts the BOSS ME-90 on the table.

ME-90: you want to see what its like to have pedals and easily see how turning the knobs of those pedals impact the sound.
^^^Ditto on the Boss ME-90. Easy to get a good sound quickly and instinctively with knobs and pedals instead of toggling to screens to edit parameters.

Last edited:
@Bauhaus My first "All-In-One" effects/modeling pedal was a NUX MG300. Even has a built in basic drum machine and an expression pedal that can be used for wah or volume or effects. I just sold it a few months ago for $100 and that is what good used ones run. I have upgraded to a Stomp XL, but never played a POD Express. Although it was a good unit with good tones built in it, if I had to do it again I would have saved up for a Stomp or Stomp XL.

I know you said you wanted something new, but you can save a lot of money in this hobby if you start out getting really good used gear to try out. that way if you don't like something, you wont get killed in the resell market. Also take advantage of the big box stores return policies.

Welcome to the forum and cool name! One of my favorite bands in the 80's was Bauhaus.

Back