Advice for assembling a PA rack?

Ledvedder

Groupie
I've been getting great information from the forum regarding a mixer upgrade for my band. I've purchased a Behringer XR18. Now I want to assemble a decent rack for it. I've thinking the mixer, power conditioner, storage drawer, 2u power amp (for now), and possibly room for a wifi router. So my guess is 6u or 8u?

So with this, I'm asking the folks who are much smarter than me for some purchasing advice for a rack, power conditioner, etc?

For the router, a lot of us put velcro on the bottom of the router and the top of the rack or bag and stick it on during a show so that ts outside the rack and up high.

I wouldn't spend too much. For the most part they are glorified power strips. They look nice but a surge protector power strip would do just as well and won't take up a rack space. The XAir is SUPER shallow so there's lots of space.

That said, I'm way too OCD so I always have a (cheap) rack mounted surge protector, and I like the types with pull out lights to help when its dark

I wouldn't spend too much. For the most part they are glorified power strips. They look nice but a surge protector power strip would do just as well and won't take up a rack space. The XAir is SUPER shallow so there's lots of space.

That said, I'm way too OCD so I always have a (cheap) rack mounted surge protector, and I like the types with pull out lights to help when its dark
Any recommendations for a (cheap) rack mounted surge protector with lights?

The Radial Power 1 is nice for the price. Nice long power cable. Some of the cheaper ones have short cables which is kind of annoying.

-Aaron

I have a few of the Furman M-8Lx, but they look to be out of stock at Sweetwater. $120 a piece. I like them because they have the pull-out lights with a dimmer control, and 9 total outlets per unit.

^ Furman, for me, always. Also, a good isolated power conditioner is far beyond a normal power strip for sure ....it can solve so many problems, at the source. Do not by cheap garbage, get something quality.

Meant to say, if you're using this for live situations a voltage regulator is not a bad idea either. But they can get expensive.

Look for a used rack locally and you’ll save a lot of money. People don’t want to ship them and there’s not too many people in the market for them so prices tends to be low on the used market. I got a gator 8u rolling case for $150; new it’s around $400. And it’s nice having wheels on it.

Back