A test clip

Rock Chalk

Roadie
Ok, this is literally the first time I have ever tried to record and post anything with drums and bass, and is just me strumming a couple chords over a beat.

Just curious as to what other people think of the mix.....is it a jumbled up mess? Does it sound like something you could work with? Is anything glaringly overdone?

Again, just strumming a couple chords, but you gotta start somewhere.....right? Thanks

Nice toanz!

Awesome to put it out there. Congrats

I got bit hard by the write/record/engineer/production bug. So much to learn for me.

My key suggestion would be to bring the drum mix up a bit. 👍

To my ears, sounds like you need a compressor on the bass track.

+1

I think there’s a lot of things you can do in there for fun, along with sidechaining to the kick (and some harmonics/saturation to get some >350hz on the bass).

Make both of those instruments pop out of the mix a bit more. 👍

So. if I'm using Reaper, is that something that's included...or a plug-in that you buy?

I don’t know reaper at all … Go look in the provided f/x or strip inserts?

I would imagine EQ and compression would be common/incl but I know it has a little bit different business model versus Logic (which comes loaded with great native plugs).

Just keep doing this whole process over and over. Let go of tunes after a while, and do another. Don’t spend a month mixing something.

I like the challenges because they are only one week long.

Practice comp to mix/master has really helped me a lot in the last nine months. Learned a ton. Still learning 👍

I don’t know reaper at all … Go look in the provided f/x or strip inserts?

I would imagine EQ and compression would be common/incl but I know it has a little bit different business model versus Logic (which comes loaded with great native plugs).

Just keep doing this whole process over and over. Let go of tunes after a while, and do another. Don’t spend a month mixing something.

I like the challenges because they are only one week long.

Practice comp to mix/master has really helped me a lot in the last nine months. Learned a ton. Still learning 👍
I will have a look.......learning this DAW stuff is another whole world.....and they say the Fractal is hard to learn!
laugh.gif

Thanks for the feedback!

So the thing that really helped me learn was finding DAW/mixer guys on YouTube, that I trusted to teach me Logic and how to use things like EQ and compression on tracks.

This is a deep hole with lots of goofy information, but if you stick with it, you’ll figure it out some value.

Back