“Modeling cured my GAS” : The Relapse Chronicles

Chapter 1: I’m on a bender.

For three years straight I continuously stated that modeling had cured my GAS and during that time it did, but right around the New Year I remembered the excitement of getting a new pedal in the mail or taking one home from the music store, plugging it in for the first time and finding a spot for it on a board. So I started snagging a pedal here and there and have been focusing on EJ/Gilmour tones.

Modeling has not cured my GAS. It’s given me more GAS. Not because I’m dissatisfied with it, but because I’m a fucking gear junkie.

I’ve been dragging these pedals between my studio and living room, a couple at a time, and it’s getting to the point I need to put them on a pedalboard so it’s not just a big mess everywhere. I haven’t had them all in the same place at once since I’ve gotten them and quickly realized that I’m completely off the wagon.

I had a couple of these previous to January, the Whammy, wah and Freqout. I’ve still got a ways to go before I’m “done” (🤣🤣🤣), so I’ll keep an running journal of my binge.

The Iron Bell, Dover Drive GE and Fuzz Face are the newest ones. The Iron Bell is stupid good, the most usable fuzz, across a fairly wide range. It does 70’s Gilmour just as well as 80’s and 90’s. I was a bit nervous about the Fuzz Face before I got it, I’ve had some nasty ones in the past and I haven’t heard a ton of great demos with the EJ FF. It definitely needs the right amp to work with (I’m putting all these in front of an FM9 or AxeFX III) and not surprisingly and can be really finicky, but it’s super smooth and the sustained notes have an awesome motion to them with all the fuzz.

I’m still getting used to the Dover Drive. I wanted it more for lower gain tones, but I think I might grab a Blues Driver for that purpose. The EJ violin tone is definitely in there, but like the Fuzz Face, needs to be paired with the right amp. It’s pretty crazy how the Fractal amps respond to these pedals hitting the front end and how much interaction they have together. I definitely wasn’t expecting that.

Here’s a quick clip of some Gilmour stuff, it’s the Iron Bell into the Dover Drive, into the FM9- Analog Chorus, Hiwatt, Delay, Rotary (in parallel) Reverb, two 2x12’s in my living room-

And now I’m off to find a Blues Driver….

There’s a guy on Rig’Puke that winds pick-ups,
-the ToneNerd fella,
-that guy should wind a bridge single coil for Gilmour.
I can hear it in the recipe of the top-end in his creations.
Totally solid dude.

I have a nephew who is starting to get into pedals after taking lessons for a year or so now. I just gave him my Weeping Demon wah and a Caline compressor I had. He is so over the moon with them. I am building him a simple pedalboard next. I have the parts, just gotta throw it together. He also happens to be great at art so I will make something he can customize.

Killed 2 birds with one stone. Made my nephew happy AND got rid of a couple pedals.

I have a nephew who is starting to get into pedals after taking lessons for a year or so now. I just gave him my Weeping Demon wah and a Caline compressor I had. He is so over the moon with them. I am building him a simple pedalboard next. I have the parts, just gotta throw it together. He also happens to be great at art so I will make something he can customize.

Killed 2 birds with one stone. Made my nephew happy AND got rid of a couple pedals.
Bob.. you upcycled baby!!!
You just doubled up on ‘trumpin’
the Karen’s of Recycling in your neighborhood🤘🏻
Fight fire with fire🔥

Back